none
task-bar and windows menu are not working RRS feed

• Question

• my task bar does not respond at all. sometimes it will come up but the app icons are not there and sometimes things will highlight when i hover over them but they will do nothing when i click them and even the windows button wont do anything

i cant even access settings when i right click the desktop and click display settings or personalize 

and at the time of writing this, the task-bar is responding to nothing and windows button wont even load 

please help
    • Edited by Loki_Shawn Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:20 PM
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Try to re-register Start Menu and related items, see if that helps:

https://www.kapilarya.com/re-register-start-menu-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, March 23, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please try to add new admin account and log in using this new account to confirm that if problem happens again.

Besides, please open CMD with admin permission, type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

If SFC complete with no error, try to re-start system in Clean Boot and only open Windows system build-in application (with 3rd party process disabled), and confirm that if problem happens again.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 9:46 AM
  • thank you for your help but ive tried the CDM thing and it doesn't help

and my computer wont let me go to settings or use anything on the task-bar even the search bar

Monday, March 23, 2020 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

Try below steps to do a Clean Boot:
    Press Win + R to open Run, type msconfig and end with enter.
    Reference the link I had provided you above to complete the Clean Boot configuration. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, March 30, 2020 9:02 AM