none
WDP as SCT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

I currently use SCT just for WDP feature, and I have to say it is a wonderful product.

I wish to know if in steadystate it is possible (or will be possible) to configure WDP to write all modifications to an empty partition as SCT does, instead to write them into cache.wdp file.

Thanks

Enrico

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:34 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for posting here!

From the post, I understand that you would like to know if we can configure WDP to write modifications to empty partition instead of cache.wdp.

Enrico, I'd like to inform you that when WDP is turned on, it creates a cache file to retain all of the modifications to operation system or program directories. We can still change WDP cache file size, Windows Disk Protection Levels, however, we are unable to change the cache file to another partition. If there is not much free disk space on system partition, I suggest we use the following method to adjust the size of the cache file:

1.            Log on as an administrator.

2.            Open Windows SteadyState.

3.            Click Protect the Hard Disk.

4.            Ensure that the Retain all changes permanently option is selected.

5.            Click Change cache file size.

6.            Adjust the slider control on the cache size slider bar to increase or reduce the cache file size, and then click OK.

Best regards,

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for posting here!

From the post, I understand that you would like to know if we can configure WDP to write modifications to empty partition instead of cache.wdp.

Enrico, I'd like to inform you that when WDP is turned on, it creates a cache file to retain all of the modifications to operation system or program directories. We can still change WDP cache file size, Windows Disk Protection Levels, however, we are unable to change the cache file to another partition. If there is not much free disk space on system partition, I suggest we use the following method to adjust the size of the cache file:

1.            Log on as an administrator.

2.            Open Windows SteadyState.

3.            Click Protect the Hard Disk.

4.            Ensure that the Retain all changes permanently option is selected.

5.            Click Change cache file size.

6.            Adjust the slider control on the cache size slider bar to increase or reduce the cache file size, and then click OK.

Best regards,

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:39 AM
  • Hi Sean,

thank you for your answer.

It is a pity it isn't possible to configure this.

The main reason is because I have an Internet Point and all computers are configured with SCT. So now, if I want to upgrade to SteadyState (and if I want to upgrade to Windows XP SP3 that doesn't support SCT) I need to change all partition layout to all computers to recover the portion of disk space of the empty partition.

Another reason is related to performance: the ability to write all temporary/persistent modifications to another disk can really boost the poor performance of SteadyState.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:18 PM