none
My project is in limbo - This project is already checked out to you on a different computer or project web app session RRS feed

• Question

• I somehow got my project into a limbo state where it thinks I still have it checked out. When I start from Project Professional 2016 and open it, it opens in read only mode and when I try to check it out, it says:

This project is already checked out to you on a different computer or project web app session

When I start from the web app and open it, it says:

An error occurred while opening your project. Give us a few minutes and try again. If this happens again, contact your administrator.

We're on Project Server 2016. I'm not a Project Server Administrator, do you have to be one to fix this? I read this article that suggested going to Project Center to fix it, but I don't see "Project Center". I'm guessing that's from an older version of Project.

http://www.softvative.com/blog/2014/08/how-to-check-in-your-own-project-that-is-checked-out-to-you-in-another-session-on-ms-project-server/

Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:44 PM

All replies

• Katie --

Navigate to the Project Center page in PWA and then click the Projects tab at the top to expand the Projects ribbon.  In the Navigate section of the Projects ribbon, click the Check In My Projects button.  On the Force Check-In Enterprise Objects page, select the checkbox for your stuck checked out project and then click the Check In button. When prompted in a dialog to check in your project, click the OK button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by PavloBilan Monday, June 22, 2020 5:33 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:52 PM
  • But like I said in my original post, I don't see a Project Center. Do I not know where to look?

I would give you a screenshot of what I'm seeing, but it just told me I can't post pictures until my account is verified? So on a side note, how do I get my account verified? I just looked for an email from technet where maybe it had a link for me to click to verify... don't see anything.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:06 PM
  • Katie --

Launch your web browser and navigate to the Home page of Project Web App.  On the left side of the page, you should see a link called Projects.  Click that link to navigate to the Project Center page.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Ok I found it. Thanks. 

I guess it was not intuitive to me to to click the Project tab at the top of the page where all the projects were listed. But I did that, and then I saw the button.

By the way, is there a way to keep that ribbon expanded instead of auto collapsing?

Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Katie --

The ribbon is collapsed by default on most pages in PWA.  To expand the ribbon, you either need to click a cell in the data grid or you need to click the ribbon tab.  There is no way to force the ribbons to always show up as expanded.

By the way, if one of my responses was the answer to your question, would you please kindly mark it as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:25 PM