IE Broken after Sysprep COPYPROFILE used RRS feed

• Question

• After fully building my Windows 8 and 10 images using Audit Mode, I use the COPYPROFILE setting in Sysprep to make a copy of the profile for all users. The issue occurs when the user's try using IE 11. The MSN homepage is missing nearly all of it's content, except the main scrolling section for top articles. All other sections are gone and none of the ads load. I have tried resetting IE andrebuilding the image, neither of these worked. I Prepped the image without using the COPYPROFILE switch and IE is usable but all my configurations are gone. Please advise.
    Friday, September 4, 2015 8:20 PM

All replies

• No ideas what's causing this issue?
    Monday, September 14, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

f12>Emulation tab, What documentMode/Emulation mode is the MSN site using and how is it determined (eg. user Compatibility list, Enterprise Mode list, meta or response header x-ua).

I guess would be that the location of the MS Compatibility View list or the Enterprise Mode list is inaccessible. F12>Console tab, refresh the web page to display suppressed error messages and warnings. Blocked content from Tracking Protection, XSS and ActiveX filtering is also listed there.

Start>Event Viewer to view any application errors and warnings raised by IE.

There was a problem with blocked content on MSN sites due to XSS restrictions, but that was fixed a month or so ago. File>Properties menu to determine which IE security zone a site maps to. For public access sites like any of the MSN domains, it should map to the Internet zone (default), not the Trusted sites zone. MS domains that use Single sign on, use the live domain to validate user credentials.

Please include the full address (copied from the IE address bar) of any websites you are having problems with... (the MSN sites are locale specific) so that we can visit them to investigate.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:12 AM
  • The console on the main MSN webpage, www.msn.com, shows like below. There are no errors but a significant amount of missing content. All content below what's shown is also missing. This only happens when I use the COPYPROFILE switch when using SYSPREP on a base image.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Could be missing plugins or plugins not supported in the webbrowser.

Are you getting an errors in the eventlog on the machines you ran copyprofile on?

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:25 PM
  • There are no missing plugins as the exact same image works perfectly when captured without using COPYPROFILE. The event log also holds no clues as there are no errors and the only warnings don't pertain to the issue at hand.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:20 PM
  • After some more testing, the issue appears to caused by an update to IE sometime between vanilla Windows 8.1 and Update 1. Before Update rollup 1 for Windows 8.1, IE functioned properly and all content is displayed correctly after using COPYPROFILE during SYSPREP. The issue extends into Windows 10 as well as Windows 8.1 with Update 1.
    Friday, September 25, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Any fresh ideas on this issue?
    Friday, November 13, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages".

Open a blank page, display the developer tool>Networking tab, return to IE (without closing dev tools) and type in the MSN address...

I expect you will see some XSS warnings on the image resources.... this was a known issue at MSN sites some two months ago...

My guess you are looking at a cached version. check the "Always refresh from server button" on the Networking tab of dev tools and then refresh the page.... observe the XSS warnings in the dev console.

or

try

Internet Options>General tab, Browsing History 'Settings'>Caches and databases - delete the cached sits and local storage.

Rob^_^

Saturday, November 14, 2015 12:21 AM
  • Sorry I'm late on this.  I hope this info still may help.

I ran into this last summer creating a Win8.1 sysprepped image.  My image relies heavily on CopyProfile to put things in place for all users.

In my case, an update was breaking the ability to toggle IE's Enterprise Mode.  A side affect was that the MSN page was messed up just like you describe.

If you launch IE with Admin rights, IE EM will toggle and the MSN page looks fine.

The problem was an issue with the rights under the user's AppData\LocalLow area.

I did track it back to an update.  It was the June 2015 IE Cumulative update.  Prior to that, syspreped images did not act like that.

To fix this, I had a couple options:

- Run ICACLS for each user, fixing the permissions under the LocalLow folder.  I did not like the looks of this one since I'd have to ensure that this command ran for each user.

icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft\* /setintegritylevel L

- The option I chose was to do this.  Right after restoring the sysprepped image, I delete the LocalLow folder from under Users\Administrator\AppData.   After rebooting, the Administrator's profile gets copied to Default.  When a user logs in, the LocalLow will get recreated with the proper permissions.

I'm running into the same thing on a Win10 build.  This time it's the November update (1511) that's mucked up things.  Same symptoms...can't toggle IE's EM and MSN.com is looking uglier than it normally does.

Hope this helps.

SpottedTreeFrog

• Proposed as answer by GrischaE1 Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:39 PM
  • I'm running into the same issue in Win10 Ent 1511 after copyprofile. IE 11 under a user account with admin rights will generate page not responding errors on www.kbb.com and some other "busy" sites. If I run IE as Admin it works. It works within the Admin account itself as long as I don't have the local policy setting changed (the one that allows you to open Edge), otherwise you have to open IE as Admin within the Admin account too. After logging into the Admin account right after Sysprep restore I delete the folder referenced above,  LocalLow folder from under Users\Administrator\AppData, rebooted then created a user account but the issue is still there.  I don't know what else to try and I have been wrestling with this for over a week now. 
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hello . I have the same problem.

If you knlow how to resolve this please said me .

Thanks

Monday, June 13, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hello,

i had similar problems with IE 11 when using COPYPROFILE on Windows Server 2016 on several pages too. The fix of SpottedTreeFrog solved it for me.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Sorry I'm late on this.  I hope this info still may help.

I ran into this last summer creating a Win8.1 sysprepped image.  My image relies heavily on CopyProfile to put things in place for all users.

In my case, an update was breaking the ability to toggle IE's Enterprise Mode.  A side affect was that the MSN page was messed up just like you describe.

If you launch IE with Admin rights, IE EM will toggle and the MSN page looks fine.

The problem was an issue with the rights under the user's AppData\LocalLow area.

I did track it back to an update.  It was the June 2015 IE Cumulative update.  Prior to that, syspreped images did not act like that.

To fix this, I had a couple options:

- Run ICACLS for each user, fixing the permissions under the LocalLow folder.  I did not like the looks of this one since I'd have to ensure that this command ran for each user.

icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft\* /setintegritylevel L

- The option I chose was to do this.  Right after restoring the sysprepped image, I delete the LocalLow folder from under Users\Administrator\AppData.   After rebooting, the Administrator's profile gets copied to Default.  When a user logs in, the LocalLow will get recreated with the proper permissions.

I'm running into the same thing on a Win10 build.  This time it's the November update (1511) that's mucked up things.  Same symptoms...can't toggle IE's EM and MSN.com is looking uglier than it normally does.

Hope this helps.

SpottedTreeFrog

IE Broken after Sysprep COPYPROFILE used

So we were actually having this problem and most of this Answer post helped to point us in the right direction, Along with this post ( https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/beanexpert/2016/04/07/copyprofile-ie11-crash-windows-10/ ). Here is what we did to resolve the IE11 issues (including Websites don't work with Protected Mode on) on Windows 10 computers that resulted from the use of CopyProfile string in the answerfile.

In addition, as the beanexpert post explains the reason for this it is the C:\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow being copied from the built-in Administrator account during sysprep if you use CopyProfile for customizations. 

Workaround

In the C:\Windows\Setup create a folder called Scripts in that folder you are going to create a simple script that will not only fixes the IE11 issue but also resolve the Quick Assess issues and start menu issues with tiles not displaying and/or not working properly after sysprep.

Paste the below info in a text file and name and save It as SetupComplete.cmd [file extension is .cmd]

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.* del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.* rd /q /s C:\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow

Please note that we didn’t change any attributes like in the beanexpert post by Samir Hammoudi and it still worked for us. I really Hope this helps in solving some of the sysprep issues some of you have been experiencing with Start Menu and IE crash issues on computers where CopyProfile has been used on WIN10.

• Proposed as answer by zexx Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by zexx Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:09 PM