none
Outlook Extremely Slow

Question

• My outlook email service became maddeningly slow after your last major update a few months ago.  I have been hanging in there, but have gotten to the point that I must have some sort of corrective help from Microsoft ASAP. 

My HP desk top computer is running Windows 10 with Edge internet browser. I am connected to the internet through my internet provider Frontier.  I am using Bitdefender as my antivirus program.

Everything that outlook does runs extremely slow.  Selecting items to make action is slow.  I place the cursor over an item and then wait minutes for the item to be highlighted. Opening emails is torturously slow.  Deleting emails is now uncertain because everything is slow. Instead of managing email being a minor part of my day it has become a major chore. Hotmail and Outlook worked so well before the recent updates.

When I am talking about OUTLOOK I mean my main outlook service:  outlook.live.com.  This service has IMAP server: imap-mail.outlook.com, IMAP port: 993, IMAP encryption TLS;  SMTP server smtp-mail.outlook.com, SMTP port 587, SMTP encryption StartTLS.  POP is not enabled.   If these server and port settings are not correct, and causing the slowness, please let me know and tell me how to correct them.

I noticed just today that the outlook Mail App, which was included with Windows 10 and installed on my computer, opens emails quickly and takes other actions quickly. The  Mail App has a different server: eas.outlook.com and SSL encryption.  I have heard that SSL encryption is not so secure anymore.  I need the full capabilities of Outlook through the main service.  The Mail App is just not capable enough.  I find that I need to keep a years worth of email, about 1000, in my inbox to function. 

I hope that you will be able to offer some help, since I am desperate.

William Fairbank

Thursday, May 4, 2017 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hi William,

>> Hotmail and Outlook worked so well before the recent updates.

By this, do you mean the Outlook application with Microsoft email account(@hotmail.com) configured works slowly after the recent update?  
    Could you please collect the detailed build number of both Outlook and Windows?

Besides, it is recommended to try following the steps in the article below to readd your Microsoft email account to Outlook:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-your-Outlook-com-account-in-Outlook-for-Windows-642C1902-BDD9-4DC3-ABE7-76D60B148B23?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem but with slightly different configuration.

I recently purchased ThinkPad E570 which runs on Windows 10 pro and I installed office 365.

The thinkpad is generally works fine until i run the outlook 2016. Its extremely sluggish and outlook window becomes white and it says "not responding',. After about 1 or 2 mins its back to normal display. Just to open an email it takes about 20 - 30 seconds. Same thing when you click the send button.

The office 365 worked fine and was very responsive when it was running in Windows 7 pro. Never had any major issues like what i'm having now.

Pls help

Thiaga

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:31 AM