none
CustomSettings.ini Sections by Custom Machine Model (Lenovo Products) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for some help on getting my customsettings.ini configured to have Sections as machine models. To give an example we use Lenovo products in our environment and could have three slightly different machine models for a M73 desktop. All the models for the M73 start with 10AY so I would like a section called 10AY that will handle all the M73's we have. This would be the same for all the other Lenovo products we have. I am new to MDT and working with ini files so I might be shooting for things that are out of reach or might be making things harder on myself by doing it this way.

I have tried a couple of things but below is what I have currently for my driver structure and my customsetting.ini file. Any help or guidance you can give is greatly appreciated and if it helps I'm using MDT 2013 Update 1.

Driver Setup

Current CustomSettings.ini File

[Settings]
    Priority=#Left("%Model%", 4)#, Init, ByLaptop, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[10AY]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 7\x32\Lenovo\M73
    DriverGroup002=Windows 7\x64\Lenovo\M73

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• If I'm understanding what you want correctly...

Use model alias user exit script - http://deploymentbunny.com/2012/05/01/modelalias-user-exit-for-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-20102012/

I took this and edited it to combine a few different model names because they all shared the same drivers.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:18 PM
  • Thanks for the link Dan. I will be looking into using that with my system as having the alias in the file will be easier to follow then the shortened model number I'm using. I was able to figure out my issue with the way I was trying to get it to work. Below is a copy of my customsetting.ini if anyone else looking at this in the future wants to see it.

[Settings]
    Priority=Init, MachineModel, ByLaptop, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty, MachineModel

[Init]
    MachineModel=#Left("%Model%", 4)#

[10AY]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 7\x32\Lenovo\M73
    DriverGroup002=Windows 7\x64\Lenovo\M73

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES