none
Update Win10 version 1511 to 1703, not 1709

Question

• I had to wipe and reinstall a laptop using the install media that came with the computer.  It contains version 1511 and I need to upgrade to 1703.  How can I do this without windows update going straight to version 1709?    We use Citrix and the Citrix receiver is not compatible with version 1709.  It won't install, so I need to avoid build 1709 until this is resolved, but I need to get this laptop back into production soon.  

Thanks

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:16 PM

All replies

• These guys keep a repository of older builds, http://windowsiso.net/

The Techguy

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:54 PM
  • I found that site earlier but was a little nervous downloading an OS build from them. Wasn't sure if they were legitimate or not.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:57 PM
  • Honestly I can completely understand 1709 has been a living Hell in my network.. 

Even after policing it out using WSUS, it still installed itself.. 

Just do yourself a favor, until microsoft releases a patch for all the issues with 1709, i would highly suggest you set the Windows update service on the machine to Disabled, and stop it.. Otherwise it will still install after 35 days of denying the installation anyway.. 

(Should mention this though) 

The Citrix Receiver does work on 1709, but you need to do some Registry modifications to get it to install correctly.. 

Here is what i did as a work around.. 

1. Create a new File for Registry Edit.. (Notepad, save as SmartScreen.REG) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "SmartScreenEnabled"="Off"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter]
    "EnabledV9"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost]
    "EnableWebContentEvaluation"=dword:00000000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paste in the above bold text.. 

Save it.. 

2. Open up a command prompt as administrator

(Wack, Wack) to the path where the file is and run it.. 

Reboot

3. Download the Citrix Connector MSI file and run that from "Run as administrator" command box.. 

Install the software though command line.. 

Enjoy.. 

This worked for our environment.. But i would setup a test machine and give it a shot there, before you shoot yourself in the foot.. 

Rob

• Edited by themanindbox Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by themanindbox Monday, March 19, 2018 4:04 PM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:29 PM
  • Hi John,

Now Microsoft official website only provides Windows 10 1709 version ISO file. If your system version is Home or Pro, you could can't directly use the official media to upgrade to 1703 version.

But we could try the following measure to upgrade to 1703 version.
    1.Capture the Windows 10 1703 version image from other computer which has installed Windows 10 1703 version. Then perform a In-Place Upgrade on your 1511 computer.
    2.You could try to check online, some third party website may provide the Windows 10 1703 version image.

If your system version is enterprise edition, you need contact Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center to get Windows 10 1703 version ISO.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi John, 

Any update?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 2:51 AM
  • I got lucky.  I just started installing from updates using Windows update and it installed to 1703 on its own.  Once that completed I just stopped there.  I'm out of the office until next week so I will deal with it when I get back.  The Citrix support site says that a patch should be released the last week of this month so hopefully by the time I get back (or shortly after) this issue will essentially resolve itself. 
    Monday, November 20, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hi John, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

You are so luck as your said, but at last the issue was resolved after all.

If you have any other issue, please contact with us at any time.

Bests,

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:44 AM