Strange font folder problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very strange problem with my Fonts folder. No matter which view I select, it always shows the font icon rather than the thumbnail preview.

A standard folder containing font files will display the preview, and if I rename the desktop.ini file from the fonts folder it also shows the preview, but if I open the Fonts folder from Control Panel, I only get the icons.

I've tried running sfc /scannow, which doesn't find any problems. I've tried removing the hidden staticcache.dat and fms_metadata.xml files, which has no effect. I've checked the version number of fontext.dll, which looks OK - 6.1.7600.16385, modified 14 July 2009 2:15 AM. Anti-virus and anti-malware scans show nothing wrong.

Has anyone got any other ideas? I don't want to re-build my computer for such a minor problem!

• Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    • 4GB RAM
    • 232GB HDD / 102GB free
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

First, check if the box before "always show icons, never thumbnails" under the "View" tab is checked.

HOW to open Folder options: Click start, type "Folder options", go.

Meanwhile, when did this issue first occur? System restore may be of help at this point.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:51 AM
  • The "always show icons" box is not checked. If it was, I would expect the standard folder of fonts to display icons as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly when this started, so System Restore isn't an option.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Have you installed Windows Photo Gallery ?

Will files from other folders work in thumbnail preview?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:59 AM
  • I have installed the Windows Live Photo Gallery - would that make any difference?

Thumbnails work in every folder except the fonts folder.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Usually, Windows Live Photo Gallery should be set as default program so that the Thumbnails will work fine. However, the situation here is only the font folder. I think the thumbnail file was deleted somehow so that it won't display it.

At this point I suggest using the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to solve the issue:

1.  Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 
    2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc  /scannow

The sfc  /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the corrupted ones. 
    3. Please restart the computer and recheck the original issue.

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Basic question:  Have you tried rebuilding the thumbnail cache?

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/clear-delete-the-thumbnail-cache-in-windows-7/

-Noel
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 21, 2009 5:23 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:44 AM
  • That fixed it - thanks Noel.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:36 PM