none
I keep getting graphics errors codes when trying to run simple things RRS feed

• Question

• In a nutshell, I bought a laptop, installed the game "Spore", and played it FLAWLESSLY. A couple hours later the computer started acting up, and turns out the hard drive is bad (a scanned it through a usb device on another computer and it had many bad sectors) So I buy a new Hard drive, install Windows 7 Ultimate on it, and updated the graphics drivers and installed the latest version of DirectX on it, but now when I try to play Spore, I keep getting the error "could not create the graphics device. Direct X is not available. [1002]" and when I try to use windows movie maker I get the error message: "Windows movie maker cannot start. Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements before trying to start Movie Maker again, and then try to update the drivers for your video card if Movie Maker still doesn't start."

I used the DxDiag tool and for some reason the apporox total memory (for my graphics card) read n/a. 

my standard VGA Graphics Adapter (AMD ATOMBIOS) has up-to-date, Digitally signed drivers

my hardware acceleration is turned all the way up

I have the latest version of DirectX installed

I have an I7, 4GB of RAM, this laptop has incredible modern features.... why can't I get simple things to work when I exceed the system requirements by so far, AND I'VE USED THEM IN THE PAST ON THIS MACHINE???... the only reason I bought this laptop was so I can use movie maker faster and play games.... Thank you for your tech knowledge....

-Lucas

Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 includes DirectX 11 in its baseline and it is not necessary to install another version of it.  Your problems may be caused by the installation of the version of DirectX you installed.  Uninstall the one you installed and see if you still have the errors.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Thank you for your quick response,

I looked in add/remove programs and the start menu, and I can't find anything pertaining to directX . Do I need to re-install my OS?

Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:56 PM
  • That would be my recommendation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:39 PM