Copy Outlook AutoText to Word RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of AutoText (QuickParts) entries in Outlook 2010.  Is there a way to copy or export/import them into Word 2010 AutoText (QuickParts)? 

Thanks for your help.

Monday, September 20, 2010 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Copy an AutoText entry from one template to another (remember, you can’t store them in regular documents, only in templates) by using the Organizer.

The Organizer is another cool tool that is so obscure, nobody can find it, or they can’t figure out what it’s for.

Choose Tools>Macro>Macros. Hit the Organizer button. Click on the AutoText tab.

You’ll note that both sides of the window have templates showing. You may need to close one of them, and open another.

Hit the Close button on one side. The Close File button will now say Open File. Open another template.

With your source template opened on one side and your destination template opened on the other, select and copy your AutoText entries over to the destination template.

Now, whoever you send the template to can use the AutoText entries when they create documents from that template.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 24, 2010 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Copy an AutoText entry from one template to another (remember, you can’t store them in regular documents, only in templates) by using the Organizer.

The Organizer is another cool tool that is so obscure, nobody can find it, or they can’t figure out what it’s for.

Choose Tools>Macro>Macros. Hit the Organizer button. Click on the AutoText tab.

You’ll note that both sides of the window have templates showing. You may need to close one of them, and open another.

Hit the Close button on one side. The Close File button will now say Open File. Open another template.

With your source template opened on one side and your destination template opened on the other, select and copy your AutoText entries over to the destination template.

Now, whoever you send the template to can use the AutoText entries when they create documents from that template.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 24, 2010 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:34 AM
  • This problem is a result of the changes made in Outlook 2007, designed to solve other problems.

Perhaps the easiest - although it could be made easier - way is to close Outlook, and open the NormalEmail.dotm template (look in the %appdata%\microsoft\templates folder for the hidden file) in Word - this will give you access to all the Building Blocks stored in Outlook. One by one (I'm afraid there is no other way) move them to another template - and when you then close NormalEmail, do NOT save it.

An alternative would be to copy NormalEmail.dotm to your Building Blocks folder (%appdata%\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks, or the appropriate locale-specific folder there if you choose), and, if you like, rename the copy. The copy would then be available in Word.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, September 27, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi Ken

I am experiencing the same problem as the Organizer in Word and Outlook 2010 does not have the autotext tab.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows how to copy autotext from 1 word template to another using Word 2010.

Thanks

Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:39 PM
  • See section 2.1.2 of the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templates/attachtemplate.html

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Robyn L" wrote in message news:72e04a4f-cf0f-408f-ba79-2ba12afe45ce@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Ken

I am experiencing the same problem as the Organizer in Word and Outlook 2010 does not have the autotext tab.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows how to copy autotext from 1 word template to another using Word 2010.

Thanks

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, February 7, 2011 8:39 AM