none
Logon Error - Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service

Question

• Hey all,

I am having an issue with a user connected to our local domain. Whenever they try to log in, it keeps displaying "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service." I have tried multiple ways of addressing it and have had no luck with a fix for this. I have tried:

• Using 'netsh winsock reset'
    • Uninstall and reinstall network adapter drivers
    • Clean booting and trying to isolate the issue (did not find anything)
    • Deleting the font cache
    • Tinkering with the service settings
    • Disabling anti-virus and restarting
    • System Restore

None of these are fixing the issue for my particular system. It always comes back. The hardest part about troubleshooting this issue is how sporadic it is. It happens every other time the user logs in.

The only other fix I have not tried yet is the hotfix Fix379913. I don't want to install this until I have exhausted all of my options as this could create more problems.

We have 50+ other computers running Windows 7 on this domain with absolutely 0 issues. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by Flash2017 Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:12 PM Included the name of the hotfix
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you can run SFC /scannow in CMD and check the logs located at %windir%\Logs\CBS firstly. This process helps to scan and fix the corrupted files. Install the hotfix on a computer is also a way to address your login problem, don’t worry about it.

In addition, there are a few things I should confirm:

Did it only happen on the particular pc? If all the accounts logon on this pc will lead to the error, I consider it is related to the system issue. You can try to In-Place Upgrade or clean install to repair the system. During an In-Place Upgrade, existing user settings are retained as well as installed app.  

If it only happens on the particular account,  I consider that it is related to the user profile. You can try to delete the user profile and restart the pc.

Best regards,

Vivian

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Worst reply ever! Please can someone with IT knowledge rely on this issue

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:48 AM