How large is the upgrade (migration) from a 2007 Secondary to a 2012 DP? RRS feed

• Question

• Our WAN team is concerned about network bandwidth consumpion when we perform the migrations. I can not find any documentation that specifically states how large the actual upgrade content is - not the content like new packages etc, but the actual upgrade itself.

Anyone know?  Also, I know the client goes to the DP - is there anything else that automatically is distributed to the new DPs? I believe I saw the boot images automatically copy out when we upgraded our test secondary to a DP..

Will

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is no WAN traffic involved in a migration process. DP's and secondary sites can be upgraded and packages re-used at each remote location. Correct the you need new boot images when you want to create new images. Besides that, you also need to upgrade the client and most likely also the Software Update features (I never migrate that).

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Kent,

There has to be some bootstrap or something that is deployed, as well as the actual DP installation code? Is whatever this content is deployed using the sender limits established in 2007, or just SMB file transfer, etc?

Also, if the secondary being migrated were the first secondary to be migrated and the content had not yet been added to the single instance file store, wouldn't that have to be somehow communicated back up to the primary? Or is the single instance file store unique to each DP? I was under the impression it was standard across all DPs..

Will

Will

• Edited by Miami Nemo Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:52 PM
  • The DP installation is IIS which is found locally on the DP. There will only be a transfer of the new CM12 client. The SIS is unique to each DP.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

• Marked as answer by Miami Nemo Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:17 PM
  • So the client does copy down as part of the DP installation, even if we've already upgraded the client independantly? The client is no small thing anymore, its 158MB. Some of our fields sites are still connected on very slow links. Anything over 100MB has to go during non business hours.

thank for the info kent!

Will

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:44 PM