none
GPO to ENABLE Changing Wireless Profile Settings

Question

• We are pushing out wifi settings via GPO. It works, for the most part. But every now and then users need to remove the SSID because their credentials change and yet wireless tries to use old cached credentials.

Even as an administrator I am unable to right-click and remove. What can be done?

I do not wish to delete the entire GPO because it generally works. I just want to push out the wifi configuration, but let users (OR at least ADMINS) be able to change and remove it.

THANKS for the help.

Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I did some research and found that the GPO settings do not allow the user to make any changes to the configuration.

You could try to import an xml wifi profile at login which imports the settings but allows the user to change everything as a workaround. It provides all users with sufficient settings to connect to the secured WIFI, but still allows the user to adjust anything they want. If the user accidentally deletes the WIFI profile, the profile will be recreated at next computer startup.

More information at: http://www.itexperience.net/2014/03/11/offering-wifi-profiles-as-a-gpo-preference-in-windows-7/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 08, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Below thread discussed the same requirement, you could refer to the suggestions there:

How to change wireless profile settings via Group Policy?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d5143123-1ad1-4097-9910-9b3e441aba86/how-to-change-wireless-profile-settings-via-group-policy?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 05, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I know how to change wireless settings via Group Policy. My Group Policy for wireless works nicely - for the most part. The problem is that once it pushes out the wireless configuration to the user, even admins cannot remove ("forget") the SSID at the user workstation. I only wish to delete it at a single workstation (and then have it reinstall the wireless profile). I do not wish to edit the entire policy.

Is this even possible?

Friday, August 05, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

I did some research and found that the GPO settings do not allow the user to make any changes to the configuration.

You could try to import an xml wifi profile at login which imports the settings but allows the user to change everything as a workaround. It provides all users with sufficient settings to connect to the secured WIFI, but still allows the user to adjust anything they want. If the user accidentally deletes the WIFI profile, the profile will be recreated at next computer startup.

More information at: http://www.itexperience.net/2014/03/11/offering-wifi-profiles-as-a-gpo-preference-in-windows-7/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, August 08, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Thanks very much for this. Really appreciate it.
    Monday, August 08, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Hi James,

You're welcome.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 2:11 AM