The Operating System is not presently configured to run this application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've recently had a number of users who shortly after starting Skype for Business recieve the error message in the topic title. From what we can tell the application remains functional despite the error message, however we've been unable to determine what exactly causes it, and how to stop it from showing up. From searching around I found suggestions to repair and/or reinstall Office, however after doing a full uninstall (with the Fixit tool) and reinstalling, the message keeps popping up. Are there any other suggestions for how to proceed with this?

Regards

Emil Pettersson

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Emi,

Although you re-install Office, we still suggest you do a repair on the affected PC to check if the issue persist. in addition, update Skype for business and OS to the latest, do a clean boot and rebuild his Windows profile to have a test.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Skype and OS are updated to the latest version (fresh reinstall of Skype from our Office 365 and no new Windows Updates available). Is rebuilding the profile our only option or is there anything else we can try & troubleshoot first? If possible I would like to get to the bottom of what's causing the error message, the user is located offsite and it would be preferable to not rebuild the entire user profile and cause them to lose all settings/force them to resync all SharePoint libraries/etc. unless we can be reasonably sure that the problem won't remain afterwards.

Regards,
    Emil Pettersson

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:23 AM
  • Hi Emil,

If that, please check if there are any errors in application log on the affected PC. Then check if the issue was caused by specific third party software on those PCs. Also refer to my first suggestions and try above steps, then give us any feedbacks as soon as possible for solving this issue.

In addition, try to do the following steps:
    1) Press Windows + R
    2) Type cmd and Press Enter.
    3) Type "sfc/scannow" and press enter.
    Note: You will need Admin previlage to run the sfc command.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Friday, March 24, 2017 9:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DialectEmil Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:34 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been away for a while. We've had a few more users who have reported the problem, something I've noticed in the event viewer that seems to match date & time for when the error message shows up is the following with Event ID 35:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\lync.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\UccApi.DLL" on line 1. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Going by this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3077028/sidebyside-event-id-35-is-logged-in-the-application-log-when-you-start-skype-for-business-on-a-64-bit-windows-operating-system which seems like it might be related to the error message we're receiving, however that page also seems to refer to it as appearing in the error log only so I'm not sure if anything has changed in how the error is reported?

Is there a fix of some kind for the issue above that we could try installing to see if that removes the error message?

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi DialectEmil,

As I know, you have re-installed Office, but we would like to you do the following steps to check if the issue persist: disable third party A/V software on PC side, then re-install Office, after complete install, re-install third party software to have a test.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:39 AM
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:28 AM
  • I am having the same problem on a number of our PCs in here now. All are Office 2016 and Windows 10 Pro, fully patched. Did you have any luck?

Full repair of office does nothing. and it's happening to too many users to make recreating their profiles a viable option!

• Edited by Dan Baird Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:21 PM
  • this appears to be a .dll issue - 

https://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/case-of-the-skype-for-business-2015-operating-system-is-not-presently-configured-to-run-this-application/#comment-6416

following these steps (closing Skype, reloading Outlook, reopening Skype) fixed it for me - so come on Microsoft, we need a real fix pushed out for click-to-run users.

Monday, September 4, 2017 2:13 AM