PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides and 64bit Office / Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

All the Microsoft documentation on PSTDisableGrow mentioned that you can use a key called PSTDisableGrowAuthenticodeOverrides to allow code to 'grow' PST files.

A plugin we are using works correctly with this set and has been for many years.

However need to upgrade to 64bit office and outlook and this key no longer works.

To be 100% sure, I ran a procmon on registry accesses from outlook 64bit and it doesn't even try to read this key any more (in any location in the registry ).

So, is this a mistake / bug in 64bit outlook ?

Is there another way to allow this override? Or is the only choice to set PSTDisableGrow=0 for all our users?

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Could I know what's the detailed version of Outlook client? You can see this information via File > Office Account > About Outlook.

I researched a lot but haven't seen any official documents about PSTDisableGrowAuthenticodeOverrides. But I did see some similar reports. I don’t have the add-in to help test this key on my side.

Does this issue occur to all users on your side? If possible, please test this registry key on a fresh new computer. If this can be reproduced, this behavior could be by design.

I also checked internally but there seems to be no other options to allow this override. Could I know why you want to set PSTDisableGrow? I'm wondering if there are anything else I can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, July 19, 2019 2:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 22, 2019 3:18 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 2:27 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Just check if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 22, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi, 

Sorry for the delay - holidays got in the way.

This is definitely an issue. Plugin is not really relevant and it can be tested or simulated even without having any plugin.

64Bit outlook for some reason does not honour this same registry key as the 32bit outlook.

The test is to simply use the related registry key PSTDisableGrow ( documented by Microsoft to allow block PST files growing ) .

If you use the PSTDisableGrowAuthenticodeOverrides registry entry ( in any location ) it is not even accessed by outlook ( using procmon to monitor registry access ) - but on the 32bit version, it is checked for.

I believe this is a bug or oversight in the 64bit code? I see other reports of this, but no fix?

(maybe there is a technical reason in 64bit? But it isn't documented).

Monday, August 12, 2019 2:22 PM