Migration and move RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am starting the planning process of migrating from ConfigMgr 2007 to 2012.  I am also planning on moving my ConfigMgr server from one WAN site to another.  My question is, when should I do the move in relation to the migration?

• Migrate first, then move the ConfigMgr 2012 server?
    • Move the ConfigMgr 2007 server first, then migrate?
    • Migrate over the WAN?

As background, we have a relatively simple ConfigMgr setup:

• WAN location A - site server (which is also WAN location A's distribution point), plus a separate SQL server that is dedicated solely to the ConfigMgr database.  At the end of the migration/move process, I just want to have a distribution point in WAN location A.  WAN location A has a connection to the Internet.
    • WAN location B - distribution point.  At the end of the migration/move process, I want the ConfigMgr 2012 server (and distribution point) and SQL server in WAN location B.  WAN location B has a connection to the Internet.
    • WAN locations C and D - distribution points.  Neither location has a connection to the Internet - they connect via the WAN through either location A or B.
    • Off net home-based users - they VPN into either WAN location A or B and use A or B's distribution point for software installs, etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• I should also note that our AD setup is also relatively simple.  We have one domain in our forest, and our AD sites coorespond to our WAN sites.  We have OU's for our computer objects that match our WAN sites.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Migrate first, then move the ConfigMgr 2012 server?

• Move the ConfigMgr 2007 server first, then migrate?
    • Migrate over the WAN?

Those questions cannot be answered without knowing details, e.g. available WAN bandwidth.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:09 PM
  • SCCM servers can change IP without problem. Make sure that your DNS gets updated.

Benoit Lecours | Blog: System Center Dudes

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:19 PM
  • WAN bandwidth is 40 Mbps, of which I would probably have about 10 Mbps available for this project.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Thanks, but what about moving from one AD OU to another?  What about moving from one AD site to another?  And which would you recommend - move ConfigMgr 2007 first, then migrate, or migrate to Config2012, then move?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:00 PM
  • There are a lot of things to consider (e.g. where are the package sources loacted etc), but it's no problem to "move" a ConfigMgr server (as long as the name and domain membership does not change).

Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:36 AM
  • I see both Site A & B have Internet connections. For what it's worth you should then locate your Primary Site Server in the location where you have most users.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  The sites are about evenly split in terms of users, but all of my pc builds happen at Site B, while the SCCM server was in Site A.

Which do you recommend doing first?

Move ConfigMgr 2007 to Site B, then migrate to 2012?

Migrate to 2012, then move it to Site B?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:48 PM
  • So are you saying that it doesn't matter which I do first - migrate then move, or move then migrate?  Both ConfigMgr 2007 and 2012 should handle the move without too many issues?

By the way, the package sources are all located on the ConfigMgr server.  I have tried to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:51 PM
  • It does not matter (see my comments above). Also make sure to move the source off the old server as the migration job will not change source paths (this can be done using http://blog.coretech.dk/jgs/coretech-package-source-changer-0-3-0-0/ or whatever method)

• Marked as answer by Schuylkill Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:21 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:06 PM
  • OK, thanks, Torsten!  I appreciate your advice.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:21 PM
  • See here for a detailed walk-through of the migration process

http://www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie/2013/07/configmgr-2012-sccm-2012-sp1-step-by.html

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Wow, Gerry, this is a fantasic resource!  Many thanks!  We are still several weeks away from our migration (need to finish re-imaging some Windows XP computers first), but I will definitely be using your blog when it is time for our migration.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:14 PM