none
MDT2013 will not create ISOs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Really hoping I'm missing something obvious here.  I'm in a corporate environment and I've recently moved my workstation to Windows 8.1 Update x64.  I've installed Deployment Toolkit 2013 (as I had before) and used setupadk.exe to pull down the latest Windows ADK (at least, it say's everything's up-to-date when I try and upgrade it).

However inside Deployment Workbench when creating new media I cannot create any ISOs - on the 'General' tab (under Media Properties) I can choose 'Platforms Supported' and I can also tick 'Generate a Lite Touch bootable ISO image', however under the 'Windows PE' tab the options to generate any ISO are greyed out.  When I do then click 'Update Media' the source gets copied over to the target folder, but the ISO never gets generated.  I've not tried updating the WIM so I don't know if that's working or not.

The odd thing is that under 'Components' Windows ADK is listed as "Required", not "Installed", yet I have no issue interacting with the deployment shares.  I've tried going through the 'Download' process through the UI but that hasn't made any difference.

I've already tried completely removing and reinstalling ADK and MDT and I've used the latest versions of each.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful - as is generally the way I've only noticed this now that I've got a deadline to meet!

Peter

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:13 AM

Answers

• Ok,

I can't honestly say I understand why it should be, or what's different between now and my previous computer, but it seems having my main Deployment Share on a UNC path on a NAS was stopping the boot WIM creation, and hence the ISO creation for the Distribution Media.

I've create a new Deployment Share on my local PC, copied all the Applications, OSes, Out-of-Box Drivers, Packages, Task Sequences, Selection Profiles etc. from the NAS-base share into the new one (not forgetting custom scripts) and, lo and behold, the Media generation now works exactly as you'd expect it to.

I'm confused as to what's different (or how I got it working previously), but am relieved that I've got a way forward and won't miss my deadline!

Thanks to both Johan and Mirfster for your time, help and comments which pushed me in the right direction toward this experiment!

Peter

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:53 PM

All replies

• In general, make sure you have enough free space available on the C: drive, clean out the %temp% folder, and disable any antivirus software.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Hi Johan,

Thanks for the suggestions - I tried clearing out my %temp% and also C:\Windows\Temp folders but to no avail. In terms of HDD space - my deploy content is ~13GB, my C: drive (system partition) has ~27GB free space and my D: drive (where the deploy media target is) has over 250GB free.

All good suggestions but no dice this time I'm afraid.

Thanks again,

Peter

Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:45 AM
  • Try created a new selection profile, and just select some apps or drivers, then create a new media, configure it to use the selection profile, and try to create an ISO (by updating the media).

Also of course, you need to be a local administrator on the machine.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the further suggestions! I've created a new selection profile and a new media deploy - it copied the content over fine, but didn't create any Boot information (the Boot folder was still empty) and no ISO was generated.

At a fundamental level it seems that MDT just can't 'see' ADK :-S

I'm going to try building a dedicated 2012 Server tomorrow and will install ADK and MDT on that and see if that fairs any better I think.

Peter

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:05 PM
  • Just as a status update: I've now installed MDT and ADK on the following machines:

• Fresh corporate build of Windows 8.1 Update (in case it was something on my machine specifically interfering)
    • Fresh corporate build of Windows 8.1 (how my previous machine was configured)
    • Fresh corporate build of Windows 7 SP1 (incase there's a Win8.x issue)
    • Clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2

In every case MDT installs, ADK installs, but MDT cannot see ADK.  Even if I trigger the install of ADK from within MDT all it does is download the adksetup.exe - it does not launch it.  If I then complete the install manually MDT still cannot see ADK.  In each case I used MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit2013_x64.msi from the MDT website.  ADK came from both a copy on my server, and the adksetup.exe pulled down by MDT (I installed ADK twice on each test machine using both sources).

I'm stuck! :-S

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:40 PM
  • On your machine, do you have the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1 folder?

Also, did you disable (or uninstall) any antivirus software.

/ Johan

Friday, January 30, 2015 8:56 PM
  • Maybe I am misunderstanding the original question, but I gather that you are saying that in MDT under your DeploymentShare you are:

1. Navigating to "Advanced Configuration" - "Media"
    2. Selecting the Properties of your Media (ex. MEDIA001)
    3. In the MEDIA Properties, you are going to the "Windows PE" Tab and trying to tick the "Enable Lite Touch bootable ISO image"?

As far as I know, that cannot be done.  The only ISO that you can create under "Media" is the one listed under the "General" Tab.  This is because the ISO will be for "Offline Media" installation and does not try to communicate with the MDT Server.

If you want a Lite Touch ISO that will connect to your DeploymentShare, just grab the one under "%DeploymentShare%\Boot" folder.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Hi Johan,

Yes, the ADK was apparently properly installed into the Kits folder and I could see all the command line tools in there too (oscdimg, dism etc etc in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64).

There was no AV installed on the server and it was disabled on the client OSes I tested on.

I remembered that on my previous machine I originally had 2012 and upgraded to 2013 with ADK, so will try and recreate that process and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions with this!

Peter

Monday, February 2, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Hi Mirfster,

I didn't realise that was the case regarding those tickboxes so at least that explains that bit - thanks! Just wish I understood why the ISO and WIM generation is failing now!

Peter

Monday, February 2, 2015 10:57 AM
  • Just to be sure, under the "General Tab" you do have:

1. "Media Path" set to a location with ample space and where you do have rights
    2. As least one of the "Platforms Supported" checked
    3. "Generate a Lite Touch bootable ISO image" checked

Also as was mentioned earlier, make sure the "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp" directory is cleared.  I just recently had to clear mine and reboot, then I was able to generate my ~30 GB ISO (another topic).

Monday, February 2, 2015 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Yep, I've gone through all of those checks and made double and triple sure about all of that.

I'm close to finding a solution I think - just doing one last check on a test machine then will test on my production machine.  I'll be sure to report back the outcome!

Peter

Monday, February 2, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Ok,

I can't honestly say I understand why it should be, or what's different between now and my previous computer, but it seems having my main Deployment Share on a UNC path on a NAS was stopping the boot WIM creation, and hence the ISO creation for the Distribution Media.

I've create a new Deployment Share on my local PC, copied all the Applications, OSes, Out-of-Box Drivers, Packages, Task Sequences, Selection Profiles etc. from the NAS-base share into the new one (not forgetting custom scripts) and, lo and behold, the Media generation now works exactly as you'd expect it to.

I'm confused as to what's different (or how I got it working previously), but am relieved that I've got a way forward and won't miss my deadline!

Thanks to both Johan and Mirfster for your time, help and comments which pushed me in the right direction toward this experiment!

Peter

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Interesting, I have multiple Deployment Shares on a NAS.  Well, at least you are up and running.  Guess that NAS issue can be looked at another time.  :)

Happy Imaging.

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:42 PM