none
Exchange 2007 and 2013 configure simultaneously

Question

• Hello support,

• I am using exchange 2007 in production environment and now I want also install exchange 2013. Please confirm both will be work in same domain simultaneously.
    • MX records has been point exchange 2007.
    • Please provide any articles so that understand how it will be work.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:53 PM

Answers

• Thanks Jim for providing information.

Now we can plan for update from exchange 2007 to 2013 with migrate user mailbox.

• Marked as answer by IT.Pradeep Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hello support,

• I am using exchange 2007 in production environment and now I want also install exchange 2013. Please confirm both will be work in same domain simultaneously.
    • MX records has been point exchange 2007.
    • Please provide any articles so that understand how it will be work.

Take a look at this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj898581%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2013/Checklist?state=3087-W-AAAEAAAAQAAIAAEAAAAAAHAx6BUQwIMCAA~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Proposed as answer by Hinte Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:04 PM
  • yes they can both work simultaneously and you decommission Exchange 2007 once your done with complete migration.

On the Exchange Deployment assistant  select on-prem and then select exchange 2013 on-prem option.

your configuration may also vary depending on your dns setting, whether you have slit-dns configured or not? ExDA suggest using the split-dns, in order to do that you will need to plan some down time.

Certificate, what type of cert do you have ? for co-existence you need to have SAN cert and need to have all the name spaces including autodiscover.domain.com

You will also need to create a legacy hostname for your exchange 2007, make a new host in your DNS and also internet registrar DNS. legacy.domian.com -- make sure that legacy.domain.com is also on the SSL cert.

In the ExDA- it also recommends you to configure the SCP (service connection point) to Exchange 2013 , this step is wrong order, you must configure the SCP as soon as you install a new Exchange 2013 else your users will starting receiving the certificate error/popup on the outlook.

this is what I can think of.

Good luck

Where Technology Meets Talent

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Yes both Can work simultaneously if its same forest and domain, you can install Exch 2013 into current environment and point MX to Exch 2013 after done your migration completed

sachin hodge

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,

Welcome to our forum.

In addition to above suggestions, we should publish Exchange 2013 to Internet after you install Exchange 2013 in organization.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Hello Support,

Thank for providing information.  I don't want decommission exchange 2007. 

I want to configure exchange 2013 simultaneously in the same forest and domain . MX records is already point on exchange 2007.

Please share any articles so that we can configure exchange 2013 in the same forest and domain with exchange 2007.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hello Support,

Thank for providing information.  I don't want decommission exchange 2007. 

I want to configure exchange 2013 simultaneously in the same forest and domain . MX records is already point on exchange 2007.

Please share any articles so that we can configure exchange 2013 in the same forest and domain with exchange 2007.

Did you read the links I gave you?  They go through the whole migration process (which includes installing and configuring coexistence between the two servers). If you don't want to decom Exchange 2007 (and I don't know why you don't) then skip that part.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Hi, That means you only add Exch 2013 on current environment and keep Exch 2007 and Exch 2013 as coexisting environment?  i am not sure but why you installing Exchange 2013 and not decommission 2007?

Please refer the below articles. 

http://silbers.net/blog/2014/01/22/exchange-20072013-coexistence-urls/

http://www.expta.com/2014/01/exchange-2013-client-access-coexistence.html

sachin hodge

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Thanks Sachin,

My problem is if i am upgrade exchange from exchange 2007 to 2013 but issue is Exchange  2007 user Cal does not  support on exchange 2013 (not cover under compliance) 

Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,

If we have purchased license for Exchange 2013 and for Office, we could migrate user mailbox to Exchange 2013 without any user CAL.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Thanks Jim for providing information.

Now we can plan for update from exchange 2007 to 2013 with migrate user mailbox.

• Marked as answer by IT.Pradeep Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

If the above suggestions are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Thursday, June 9, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hello Jim,

The issue is I want to run a hybrid of Exchange 2007, Exchange 2013 and Office365 Exchange. Its primarily due to our existing investment in Exchange 2013 and respective CALs.

Say, I have a total of 100 user and here’s want I want to run:

Exchange 2007: 50 CALs, 50 Users

Exchange 2013: 25 CALs, 25 users

Office365 Change: 25 users.

The clarification, I need is:

1. Are there any possible technical problems I can face with this setup?
    2. Do I need CALs for 25 users that would be on Office365 and a rule created on Exchange 2013 for this hybrid setup
    3. Process of setting this up .

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi Pradeep,

For Exchange 2007 which is coexisted with Exchange 2013, we should create hybrid on Exchange 2013 by the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200581(v=exchg.150).aspx 

For CAL issue, please phone to customer service by the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:15 AM