none
WSUS Windows Server 2016 change IP of clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

We changed IP addresses for a bunch of servers but WSUS is still reporting old IP addresses for the server. The Serves (with new IP addresses) are pingable from WSUS. 

Thanks

Monday, September 9, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• Try to reset wsus client on these servers:

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc708627(v=ws.10)

Vote or mark as answer if you think useful

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried deleting the computer from the WSUS console and let it reappear?

Similar post here Wrong IP address for clients in WSUS, see if Adam's workaround could be of any help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:09 PM
  • I tried the command last friday. Didn't work. Still reporting the Old IP. 

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried deleting the computer from the WSUS console and let it reappear?

Similar post here Wrong IP address for clients in WSUS, see if Adam's workaround could be of any help.

Best regards,
    Leon

I deleted the computer from WSUS. Will check tomorrow if it is added with same IP or new one.
    Monday, September 9, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Hello jimjamjimbo,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

We can try to delete some WSUS clients on the WSUS server console, then try to reset these WSUS clients on the WSUS server with command  UsoClient.exe startscan.

Tips:
    From wuauclt /detectnow in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, we can see:

In Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016 or newer, the command to scan “Windows Update” from the command line is:
    CMD (Run As Admin)
    c:\windows\system32\UsoClient.exe startscan

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

So I deleted the client yesterday from WSUS but it still didnt show up. 

I did the following on the client that was removed from WSUS. I will check tomorrow if it shows up in WSUS. 

CMD (Run As Admin)
    c:\windows\system32\UsoClient.exe startscan

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your update. I am looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

I checked today (2 days after) and the computer is still not in WSUS. Do I need to do anything on the computer that was removed?

Thanks

Jammy

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:26 PM
  • If the client-side settings have not changed, the clients should show up in the WSUS console automatically later.

However if they don't, you can try resetting the SUSClientID of the affected client(s):

1. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run: net stop wuauserv

2. Delete the value in registry key "SusClientId" and "SusClientIDValidation" they are located here:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

3. In the Command Prompt (Admin) run: net start wuauserv

4. In the Command Prompt (Admin) run: wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:35 PM
  • performed the above steps on affected client. how long do you think I should wait till the client will show up in WSUS?
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:52 PM
  • You can check if the registry values get populated again, you can also try a reboot or wait a day or so.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:54 PM
  • restarted...still not there... I will wait a day for the client to show up. Will let you know how it goes.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 5:21 PM
  • registry value got populated but the client is still not in WSUS
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:12 PM
  • Has the client(s) been assigned the correct target groups? If not they will appear under the "Unassigned Computers" group.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:19 PM
  • Hi I checked everywhere. the client is no where to be found. The client and WSUS server both can ping each other (from client to WSUS from WSUS to client)

any other ideas?

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi,
    We can troubleshoot as below:

1. We can try to run the following script on a test client.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    usoclient.exe startscan

2. If the computer still doesn't appear after a couple of hours, it would helpful if you could provide your group policy results by command "gpresult /h c:\gps.html" (Logon one client with domain Administrator account and open CMD, run as administrator).

3. Also, is there any error message if we click "check for updates" in Settings?

4. And is there any error message in the windowsupdate.log?
    We could find the log on the desktop after running PowerShell cmdlet "get-windowsupdatelog".

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:09 AM

• Hi,
    Would you please tell me how things are going on your side. If you have any questions or concerns about the information I provided, please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:49 AM
  • Hi,
    We can troubleshoot as below:

1. We can try to run the following script on a test client.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    usoclient.exe startscan

2. If the computer still doesn't appear after a couple of hours, it would helpful if you could provide your group policy results by command "gpresult /h c:\gps.html" (Logon one client with domain Administrator account and open CMD, run as administrator).

3. Also, is there any error message if we click "check for updates" in Settings?

4. And is there any error message in the windowsupdate.log?
    We could find the log on the desktop after running PowerShell cmdlet "get-windowsupdatelog".

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:32 PM
  • not resolved. Will try your suggestion and report back
    Friday, September 20, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,
    OK. I am looking forward to your reply.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:18 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:45 AM