locked
Group policy give errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • I created a GPO for WSUS.  several computers were getting incorrect info as about what server was the WSUS server. I could get any answers on how to fix it so I completely deleted the GPO an rebuilt it from scratch and now when I link the GPO to the OU I get this, and I don't even have to enforce it.  I unlink the GPO from the OU and the error goes away.  This is the only GPO giving me this problem.

    C:\>gpupdate /force
    Updating policy...

    Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:

    The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{5BB03F9D-B5DB-453D-8AAA-012B1936C3CC}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:
    a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
    b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).
    c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.
    User Policy update has completed successfully.

    The following warnings were encountered during user policy processing:

    The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance.

    To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy results.



    Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:31 PM

Answers

  • Hi Mike,
      

    This seems to be a problem with group policy. 
    Please try the following checks:
      

    1. Start the "TCP/IP Netbios Helper service" and verify the startup type is set to automatic.
    2. Verify DNS resolution is working, test browsing to the path where the problem occurred: "\\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{5BB03F9D-B5DB-453D-8AAA-012B1936C3CC}\", and check if it exists.
    3. I found a thread with a similar problem in the Group Policy forum, please check if the method mentioned in it can help you solve this problem: "Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following eerrors were encountered".
        

    Hope the above can help you.
       

    Regards,
    Yic

    Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 17, 2019 3:44 AM

All replies

  • Hi Mike,
      

    This seems to be a problem with group policy. 
    Please try the following checks:
      

    1. Start the "TCP/IP Netbios Helper service" and verify the startup type is set to automatic.
    2. Verify DNS resolution is working, test browsing to the path where the problem occurred: "\\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{5BB03F9D-B5DB-453D-8AAA-012B1936C3CC}\", and check if it exists.
    3. I found a thread with a similar problem in the Group Policy forum, please check if the method mentioned in it can help you solve this problem: "Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following eerrors were encountered".
        

    Hope the above can help you.
       

    Regards,
    Yic

    Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, May 17, 2019 3:44 AM
  • I have got this problem resolved.  I turns out it is a replication problem.  I manually copied the policies from the Sysvol folder of the primary DC to the backup DC.  Now I need to find out why it isn't replication.
    Friday, May 17, 2019 12:26 PM