none
Windows Server 2016 Rearm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a client with Windows Server 2016 using for some POC, they do the rearm before(no idea on result), but this time they only have 2 rearm left, after the rearm, the trial peroid was just extended by another 3 days (from 7days to 10days after the rearm). Any idea on this kind of issue?

Thank you!

Ken

Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:41 AM

All replies

• Are they connected to the internet?

A rearm should rearm the product for 30 days when connected to the internet.  I've never tried a rearm when not connected to the internet, but if one is not connected to the internet, I know that the original trial period is just 10 days instead of the 180 days when connected to the internet.  Sounds like the rearm might be set to a lower value, too, if not connected.

tim

Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently checking if its connected to the internet. They already do the rearm before, but per checking before rearming again, they still have 2 rearm remaining and 7days on trial, after rearming it extended to 10days. 

BTW, is there any write up regarding rearm for WS2016? Just saw blogs rearming it successfully for 180days but never saw issue on upto 10days only.

Thanks!

Ken

Friday, September 14, 2018 12:23 AM
  • "is there any write up regarding rearm for WS2016?"

It is the same for all evaluation copies, regardless of version.

The initial arming is for 180 days.  In order to get the initial arming, the system must be connected to the internet, even briefly, during the first 10 days.  If never connected to the internet, the evaluation copy will run for 10 days with no issues.  After the 10 days are up, the system will stop after one hour of running.  It can be rebooted, but it will again stop after one hour of running.

Upon further reflection, I seem to recall re-arming a system that was not connected to the internet, and it did re-arm for 10 days.  Then the same cycle happens.  So the key is to get the system connected to the internet.

However, since you have already re-armed the system, I am not sure if connecting to the internet will start the initial 180-day evaluation period or if it will consider itself 're-armed' and just give you a 30-day period.  But if connected to the internet, the re-arm period should be 30-days.

tim

Friday, September 14, 2018 1:42 PM