none
Double number of tasks done on Saturday RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project with 6 day work weeks (Monday-Saturday). From Monday-Friday, we can complete 1 task, but on Saturday we can do 2. How do I set up the calendar to do this? 

Most of my tasks will be done during business hours, but some can be done overnight (7pm to 7am next day). How would I set this up?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:58 PM

All replies

• BostonRobert,

There's not enough detail in your post to give specifics but generally the Project calendar should be set up to show which days are working and which are not along with the work hours. And don't just modify the Standard calendar, create your own custom calendar, perhaps based on the Standard if appropriate.

You say that during the week you can complete 1 task but on Saturday you can complete 2 tasks. Is that because you only have one resource assigned during the week and two, or more, resources assigned on Saturday?

What's the overnight task? How does that play with resources?

There are two other types of calendars for Project, task calendar and resource calendar. If specific tasks have unique calendar requirements, then you should create a custom calendar for that task and select that calendar in the Task Calendar field (Gantt Chart view). If none of your tasks have unique task calendar requirements, then by default their task calendar is "none" which means they will follow the Project calendar.

The third calendar type is the resource calendar. If specific resources have a unique work schedule, (days and times), then create a custom calendar for that resource and select that calendar as the Base Calendar (Resource Sheet).

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Some specifics

- On Weekdays, there is a 4 hour window to do work (10am-2pm) during business hours, or 7pm-6am during off hours. 

- On Saturday, the window is all day.

- Each task (a production equipment upgrade) needs 4 hours of work. Doing the work off hours is more expensive than during business hours (an extra $1K per task), so it's preferred to do during business hours.

- I don't know yet if some of the upgrades need to be done off hours.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:58 PM
  • BostonRobert,

First I would create a custom calendar with working hours of 10:00AM to 2:00PM and 7:00PM to 12:00AM and 12:00AM to 6:00AM from Monday through Friday and whatever hours are available for Saturday. That would be applied to tasks that need the equipment upgrade. Depending on how the resources interact with the upgrade, (e.g. are work resources required exclusively to do the upgrade or is some of it automated), you might also use that upgrade calendar as the Base Calendar for those resources.

That's a starting point, try it and then if you have more questions, post back.

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:35 AM added Saturday
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:47 PM