How to securely protect PST file with a NON-REMOVABLE password? RRS feed

• Question

• I can easily set password to protect my .PST file, but I can as easily remove that PST password with any PST removal tool.  Is there a way I can make the PST password non-removable? 

My PST file is currently on a shared folder that everybody could access, is there a way to secure the PST in an encrypted password?  (My alternative method would be lock the folder to be only accessed by my user account, however I am not sure how that might impact the backup that is constantly being run by my operator)

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Rafis1,

Outlook Data File (.pst) passwords aren't intended to provide security against intentional malicious attempts to access your information. Normally, for a better way to restrict access to your data, we can do via Windows’s side. For example, we can create a password-protected Windows user account for any person who uses the computer.

It seems to be a good way to control the access to this folder. What do you mean by “the backup that is constantly being run by my operator”? If your operator has the permission to access this folder, he should has no problem to backup pst files to that folder.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:51 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, November 16, 2018 8:56 AM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hi Rafis1,

Just check if the reply is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hi Rafis1,

Are there any updates with this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Monday, November 26, 2018 1:11 AM