How to handle Pre-requistes in AppV? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

How to handle Pre-requisites in Application Virtualization?

I know that we need to install all the pre-requisites in Sequencer Machine before starting sequencer & then the same pre-requisites should be available in Client. I know that we can use AppV Connection Groups to handle pre-requisites.

When to use AppV Connection Groups & when to use normal installation of pre-requisites in sequencer & Client Machines?

I want to document this in Standards Document & I want to know what should I mention Under How to handle Dependencies?

Whether the dependencies are of Thick Install Or Virtual Applications

Thanks in advance..

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:49 PM

Answers

• That's really up to you, what's your expectation, what's your customers expectation.

Personally, if I have an application with a pre-requisite that I know only applies to that application e.g. A runtime with the name of my application in it, I will include that in the one package with my app. If I have a pre-requisite which is likely to be required by multiple applications, I try to determine how many and what apps before decided what to do with it.

If I have an app which requires, say the latest version of Java and I know that I'm putting that app locally as part of my build. I will keep that Java local too. But that's just my preference...

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Marked as answer by Vinodreddy597 Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:04 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

Without understanding the pre-requisite;

Drivers can not be virtualized

Operating System Components can not be virtualized

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:49 PM

All replies

• That's really up to you, what's your expectation, what's your customers expectation.

Personally, if I have an application with a pre-requisite that I know only applies to that application e.g. A runtime with the name of my application in it, I will include that in the one package with my app. If I have a pre-requisite which is likely to be required by multiple applications, I try to determine how many and what apps before decided what to do with it.

If I have an app which requires, say the latest version of Java and I know that I'm putting that app locally as part of my build. I will keep that Java local too. But that's just my preference...

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Hi Rorymon,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let me know what the Industry Best Practice to handle Dependencies?

What I understand is the common pre-requisites will be installed in sequencer & client Machine.

If there are any pre-reqs with the same manufacturer of my main application then it will be included in the package.

Am I Right?

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Hello,

Without understanding the pre-requisite;

Drivers can not be virtualized

Operating System Components can not be virtualized

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:49 PM