Change netbios name of server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• how can i change NETBIOS name of my server because when i install my network already has that NAME SO I KEPT DIFFERENT NAME NOW I WANT TO CHANGE. THIS PLEASE ADVISE ME

SCENARIO IS THIS

CURRENT FQDN  QD.SERVER1.LOCAL   DCPROMO sets a NetBIOS name    "QDSRV1"

I WANT TO CHANGE QDSRV1 TO XYZ

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

To change the NetBIOS name of the server while keep the Computer Name (Host Name) untouched, please open Regedit and navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName

Change the value ComputerName to what you want.

Reboot the server, and you will see that the NetBIOS name is changed while the Computer Name (Host Name) remained.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:38 AM
  • thanks for reply

but i want to change the netbios name which we gives while domain installation by dcpromo Setup.

when i was installing domain controller i kept name like Server1.local on next page its says netbios name (by default server1) next its check existing netbios name its found same name in network .so i kept diffrent name like ourserver1.when user try to open share folder on this server. they need ourserver1\username and password  but its very long.so i need small name that can  replacing ourserver1\username .

i tried this without changing domain name in xml file

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/techscrawl/server-2008-domain-rename-28069

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To change the NetBIOS name of the server while keep the Computer Name (Host Name) untouched, please open Regedit and navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName

Change the value ComputerName to what you want.

Reboot the server, and you will see that the NetBIOS name is changed while the Computer Name (Host Name) remained.

Thanks
    ZHANG

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:38 AM
  • thanks for reply

but i want to change the netbios name which we gives while domain installation by dcpromo Setup.

when i was installing domain controller i kept name like Server1.local on next page its says netbios name (by default server1) next its check existing netbios name its found same name in network .so i kept diffrent name like ourserver1.when user try to open share folder on this server. they need ourserver1\username and password  but its very long.so i need small name that can  replacing ourserver1\username .

i tried this without changing domain name in xml file

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/techscrawl/server-2008-domain-rename-28069

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:34 PM