none
"Choose an account" definition is not respected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working with Project Server 2010 with no CU or SP installed.

One user is encountering an issue with account definition on Project Pro: she sets Project Server Accounts, on 'When Starting', to 'Choose an account', however when closing the Pro, it keeps on switching automatically to "Use my default account".

She complains also that the default account keeps changing: she marks a specific server account as a default but the Computer environment changes automatically to default.

I've tried uninstalling Pro 2010 and installing it back again, but to no avail.

I've also deleted the cache folder from "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache" and also deleted the local MPT file.

I have an assumption that the issue occurs due to previous version of Project client installed on her computer; however there is no trace of it either on Add/Remove program or on C:/Program Files.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Yovas,

As you said that you have uninstalled the Previous version of MS project (Assuming Project 2007), I would suggest to use Fix it to proper cleaning the registry & corrupted file:
    USe the  below link & run the Microsoft Fix it 50154

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Thanks

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Monday, August 1, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Is there anything odd about the location of the Account Definition Yovas - or is this a shared machine?  I've not seen this behavior before.  ProcMon may help to establish what process is changing these values.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:32 PM
    Owner
  • When you say "multiple accounts," what do you mean specifically?  Do you
    have multiple environments (PROD, TRAINING, ETC.) or are you trying to log
    in as different users?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Confirm the following:

1. Did you install MS Project Professional using custom package or Office Customization Tool (setup.exe /admin)? If yes, then check if you have connection settings specified there.
    2. MS Project Professional connection settings are stored per user per PC under following registry locations. View that registry location and look at connection information there.
    3. a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\MS Project\Profiles\
    4. b. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\MS Project\Settings\
    5. Check if you have those settings rolled out and enforced via Active Directory Group Policy GPO.

Faisal Masood – PMP

www.FaisalMasood.com | www.Softvative.com | www.epmadmin.com

Blog | Twitter | YouTube 

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I've took some time in order to review your suggestion, because I wanted to make sure that this solution does not have any negative impact.

While checking that, the organization has (finally) decided to install April CU on every client side station - this is to resolve another issue regarding projects data integrity.

A positive impact to the CU installation was a resolution of the account issue! No idea why, but you won't find me complaining. I looked at what that CU and previous CUs (the 'C' in CU is Cumulative) fixed, and I didn't see anything that is mentioned regarding that.

As a beside issue, I have seen on another customer an issue where SP1 on client cannot be installed; after investigation, the root cause was that Office 2010 was installed in RTM version. Uninstalling that version and installing none RTM version resolved this.

Hopes that may help someone

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:25 AM