Federation Metadata missing entityID and other attributes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is the first time I'm attempting to use ADFS to provide SSO for a cloud based application.  I've setup the system, the FS server is a standalone, I don't have a farm built.  I have defined my relying trust and of course it's not working.  While digging into the whole thing deeper, it's looking like ADFS isn't fully configured or missing pieces.  First off, when I goto browse for my metadata, it comes up as plain old text document.  The entityID attribute isn't there at all in my metadata.  The page itself, like I said, looks just like a plain text document.  It doesn't look like or in the format of an actual XML document.  It doesn't even start off with the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> as I have seen some examples of other metadata pages. Why is mine different? 

I've already attempted to clean off the server of all ADFS components and reinstall it and it's still doesn't seem quite right.

Any Ideas?

JB

Friday, October 28, 2016 7:27 PM

Answers

• I am guessing it's just that your browser is parsing it to a readable format. It is in fact XML. You can have a look at the source of the page and you'll see the tags and properties you're looking for. You can also retrieve them in PowerShell if you'd like:

(Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://adfs.piaudonn.com/FederationMetadata/2007-06/FederationMetadata.xml").Content | Out-File Fed.xml

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, October 29, 2016 6:21 PM