none
PWA not provisioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

I am creating a new PWA in my dev box with the existing Databases from My production box . I have taken the back up of the site collection of contenct DBusting STSADM from the prodution environment and retored to the new contenct db on my dev box. All went successfull , but while I am trying to provision my PWA it failing withe the error

"Provisioning 'PWA': Failed to grant access and add user"xxx"  to role on databases because of an exception User does not have permission to perform this action..

In my dev box , I have all the access being administrator.

not sure what is the reason for this issue.

Thanks, Rex

Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

While you restored the database I think the problem lies that you didn't give your administrator rights on the contentdb. This is why you can't provision PWA.

Go to SQL Management Studio and give your DEV user the rights on the database you restored.

Hope it helps.

With kind regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hi Robin -

Thanks for you reply. I have created a new content db and created a new web application. Now I am trying to provision the PWA still its throws me the same error.

Thanks,

Rex

Thanks, Rex

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Hiya, 

What Robin reference to is:

"existing Databases from My production box".

You need to mount/restore these database to your SQL server and grant sufficient permissions  to your Dev box administrator on these databases, as Robin references. (DB_Owner)

Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Hi Rex,

I think you need to look at what account is provisioning. When you create the PWA the farm account will provision it. It should have access when creating a new PWA. When you restoring a PWA you need give the correct rights to the farm account on the databases you restored. 

Could you check the following:

Event Viewer: What error does it give you?

ULS Log: Can you find anything in there?

This should give me sufficient information to help you.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Friday, June 14, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Hello Rex,

1. Make a Full Backup of the Project Server DB(s) from Production using SQL Management Studio.
    2. Restore the DB(s) to the Development environment using SQL Management Studio.
    3. Create PWA instance in Development using the restored DB(s).

It should provision taking all the security into considerations.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Tanzim Akhtar

Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Hello Rex,

1. Make a Full Backup of the Project Server DB(s) from Production using SQL Management Studio.
    2. Restore the DB(s) to the Development environment using SQL Management Studio.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Tanzim Akhtar

Nope, he will still be missing the exact same step. To grant the development environment permissions on the restored databases...

Restored database will be restored with production credentials, hence the development environment will not have access to these databases until such is granted.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hello Rex,

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Tanzim Akhtar

Nope, he will still be missing the exact same step. To grant the development environment permissions on the restored databases...

Restored database will be restored with production credentials, hence the development environment will not have access to these databases until such is granted.

Jesper, I do not think that will happen please correct me if I am wrong.

As per my knowledge the credentials will be settled in its proper place when he will create new instance of PWA attaching the old databases.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Tanzim Akhtar

Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Tanzim,

When restoring a old PWA instance from production the credentials of the database on a development environment wil stay the same. Hence why you need to give the development farm account the correct rights before you can attach and restore a PWA instance.

With Kind Regards,

Robin Kruithof

Technical Consultant EPM

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Check permission for provisioning account on the Project databases as well. Check ULS log for more information on the above error.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:05 PM