Outlook 2016 continual password prompt RRS feed

• Question

• We are upgrading from WIN7 to WIN10, and from Outlook 2013 to Outlook 2016.

We run our email (POP3) through DSLExtreme and our own domain name.

In all prior versions of Outlook we've used, once the password was entered to access the mail server you continued to receive mail until closing the program. Enter one time at program start up. "Remember password" has never been selected.

Outlook 2016 continually requests the password every time it accesses the mail server. For some every 5 minutes, some every 10 minutes, whatever the interval is set up for.

It will continue to receive mail without the password prompt if "Remember password" is selected, but then does not require sign in then next time Outlook is started. We prefer to be able to open Outlook without downloading new email until we actually enter the email password, so just putting a password to open Outlook would still allow mail to automatically be received.

Is this an Outlook 2016 issue only? Or Outlook 2016 with WIN10? Or only POP3 accounts with Outlook 2016?

Is there a workaround to the constant password request other than "Remember password" ?

Grant

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Grant,

Usually, when you enter the password at Outlook start up, it will not prompt again until closing the Outlook (With the "Remember password" unselected). There may be something wrong with your Outlook. There are some suggestions for you.

1. Remove and re-add your account to your Outlook.
    2. Delete all Outlook and Office-related credentials from the Credential Manager and test things out
    3. Please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Besides, there is a thread may be useful to you:

Why does Outlook keep prompting for password.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Burak VAROL Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:56 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Yes, that's what I'm saying. Always in the past, from Office 2003 or 2007 on XP, to Office 2010 or 2013 on WIN7, that was always the way it worked. Once signed in to Outlook when opening the program, it continues to access the mail server without prompting for the password again. "Remember password" not selected.

We are running a licensed download of Office 2016 Professional Plus (5 user license) on WIN10 machines, and unless the "Remember password" is checked it prompts for a password every time in accesses the mail server.

We have removed and re-added the accounts and it persists. We have removed all credentials and it persists. The deal with credentials seems to be if using Exchange or Office 365, which we are not.

We have downloaded the updates and it persists. I was looking to see if there was anything else I was missing in the program setup I'm missing that will stop this constant prompting.

Grant

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:09 PM
  • Hi Grant,

Thanks for your updates.

>> it prompts for a password every time in accesses the mail server.

Do you mean that it will prompt for a password when you Send/Receive All folders? If possible, please provide the srceenshoots of the prompt window.(If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here.)

In this situation, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Besides, there could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is also suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Grant,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:24 AM