SBS 2011 Std/Prem Host Server Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at setting us up a combo of SBS 2011 Standard and Premium as VMs inside the Premium host, as allowed by license.  I'm trying to determine:

1) whether the host OS will be restricted to 32GB max memory as listed under system requirements on SBS2011 Premium add-on (and 2k8r2 standard?).

2) what system resources are recommended for the host.  In other words, will a single processor work?  Will only 32GB of host memory satisfy both VMs?  Etc.

3) Is this single-server solution really cheaper than split servers, or am I only imagining savings?  Lower-end hardware acceptable for the second server?

This will be my first real Win server, so I want to make sure I get all the hardware resources I need, but I'm unsure of the real-world requirements and restrictions (and my budget is unattractive).

FWIW, this will be for a small office of 10 users on a (primarily) gigabit network and will be the first DC.  Occasional remote connections.  Planning redirected folders with the goal of moving to full RDS in the future.  Relatively heavy file server use.  Network/DB apps to be in use, also.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• 1) - Yes.

2) 32 GB split between SBS and Premium should be OK depending upon the Premium Server load and to a degree how many users you expect for growth. For small to mid range you should be fine. If you have a *massive* SQL server planned with heavy IO, then could tax things a bit. You should have at least one physical proc/core for each VM. With SQL and Exchange you really should have two each. You probably wouldn't need dual quad cores, but at least one (quad) would be warrantted. Dual quads would give you flexibility and head room.

3) "Cheaper" gets messy to quantify. There are many factors and many possibilities with virtualization, but its not always a slam dunk.  

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by James Zou Friday, June 24, 2011 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by tomws0 Friday, June 24, 2011 11:09 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• 1) - Yes.

2) 32 GB split between SBS and Premium should be OK depending upon the Premium Server load and to a degree how many users you expect for growth. For small to mid range you should be fine. If you have a *massive* SQL server planned with heavy IO, then could tax things a bit. You should have at least one physical proc/core for each VM. With SQL and Exchange you really should have two each. You probably wouldn't need dual quad cores, but at least one (quad) would be warrantted. Dual quads would give you flexibility and head room.

3) "Cheaper" gets messy to quantify. There are many factors and many possibilities with virtualization, but its not always a slam dunk.  

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by James Zou Friday, June 24, 2011 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by tomws0 Friday, June 24, 2011 11:09 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:41 PM
  • This is very helpful and gets me pointed in the right direction.  Many thanks.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:10 AM