none
Force YouTube Restricted Mode DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain and the server is acting as the DNS server. I'm quite new to networking, I don't have anything complicated set up like scopes or anything like that but I just have DNS forwarder to OpenDNS set up for those domains that can't be resolved on the local network. How can I set it up so YouTube restricted mode is forced using DNS? Please be specific else I probably won't be able to understand, screenshots would be helpful.

Thanks
    Nicholas

@NicholasHayman

I've also posted my question on the YouTube Help forum: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/zrgt2h3onls;context-place=forum/youtube

Saturday, November 5, 2016 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Nicholas,

>>so YouTube restricted mode is forced using DNS?

Did you mean that you want to user that was in local network connect to YouTube by DNS forwarder?

Could you please post details information about your deployment to here for effect support?

>>that but I just have DNS forwarder to OpenDNS set up for those domains that can't be resolved on the local network.

Please try to ping OpenDNS to check if connection is correct between OpenDNS and local DNS server.

You could change OpenDNS to be 8.8.8.8 and try again.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Hi John,

I just want any way to ensure YouTube restricted mode is forced on the network. I saw this article on Google's support site but I'm not sure how to apply it in Windows Server. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6214622?hl=en

Thanks

Nicholas

@NicholasHayman

Monday, November 7, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

>> I saw this article on Google's support site but I'm not sure how to apply it in Windows Server.

I have checked website that you provided, and it could be deployed by windows server.

For option 1, you could add CNAME record on local DNS server, you could enter host name as link mentioned.

Please reference picture below for further understanding:

For option 2, you could check article below to deploy it:

Add a Custom HTTP Response Header (IIS 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753133(v=ws.10).aspx

For option 3, this is thirty-party software, I suggest that you could post issue about this option to specific forum for effect support.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for your reply John,

I've tried that with no luck. I recorded what I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0tIfIczgM

Is there anything that you can see that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Nicholas
    @NicholasHayman

• Edited by Nicholas12 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:15 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

I have tested on my lab, and when I ping youtube website, it could resolve correct IP address, because it will automate adding "." as suffix.

So I have tried to create forward lookup zone for youtube.com or com, and add A record of www or www.youtube, it works.

Create CNAME and it points incorrect A record, when I nslookup www.youtube.com, it works, but when I ping www.youtube.com, it did not work.

I suggest that you could create forward lookup zone for youtube.com or com, or you could configure firewall to deny user to access youtube.

Best Regards

John

• Edited by John Lii Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:00 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I'm still getting used to Server at the moment. Could you maybe include a few screenshots on how to do it?

Thanks

Nicholas

@NicholasHayman

Thursday, November 10, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

>>Could you maybe include a few screenshots on how to do it?

Yes, I am glad to provide it, Please reference picture below for further understanding:

First, create zone, its name is youtube.com, and create www record:

Best Regards

John

Friday, November 11, 2016 6:45 AM
  • I don't think there's a DNS manager in windows 7, but was interested in doing this as well. Would you have any further insight as to how to set up DNS restrictions for youtube in Windows Seven? Can this same process be applied via the Network and Sharing Center in Windows Seven?

Thank you kindly for any info you can provide.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:15 PM