'Failed to create Documents Library' error when activate Publishing feature RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following error in the event log when I activate the 'Office Sharepoint Server Publishing' feature:

Event log message was: 'Failed to create the 'Documents' library.'. Exception     
    was
    : 'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an  
    object. at  Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.
    CreateDocumentsDocumentLibrary (SPList approvalTaskList)'

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:56 AM

Answers

• I had this fixed with following steps....

1) Deactivate publishing features

2)IIS Reset

3)Reactivate

4)ISS Reset

Hope this helps....

Happy Sharepointing... Regards SPTECH07
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check the ULS logs for any other messages.

Try deactivating the feature publishing infrastructure at site collection level and then activate it back.

Then reactivate publishing feature to check if it helps you.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

Check the ULS logs for any other messages.

Try deactivating the feature publishing infrastructure at site collection level and then activate it back.

Then reactivate publishing feature to check if it helps you.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Thanks Rahul. Here are some error messages from the ULS logs:

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  CMS Publishing Provisioning 5rob    Critical    Event log message was: 'Failed  
    to create the '
    Documents' library.'. Exception was: 'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not  
    set to an instance of an object.

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  CMS Publishing Provisioning 75ot    Unexpected  Publishing Feature activation
    failed. Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Provisioning did not succeed. Details: Failed to
    create  the '
    Documents' library.

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure  88jm    High    Feature
    receiver  assembly '
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c',

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services General 72by    High    Feature Activation: Threw an
    exception, attempting to roll back.  Feature '
    Publishing' (ID: '22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416').

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services General 8grz    High    The feature '
    94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-
    a9e3
    -1f3d343d7ecb' depends on feature '22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416' which failed to activate:

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services General 75fg    High    Exception was thrown while  
    ensuring dependencies met for feature '
    PublishingWeb' (id: 94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-a9e3-1f3d343d7ecb)

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure  8e0j    High    Feature
    Activation: Failed to ensure feature dependencies for feature '
    PublishingWeb' (id: '94c94ca6-b32f-4da9-  
    a9e3
    -1f3d343d7ecb')

(0x1EE4)    0x25C8  Windows SharePoint Services General 8dzz    High    Exception Type:
    System.NullReferenceException  Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've shortened them for brevity.

I don't want to deactivate the
    publishing infrastructure feature as all my websites will lose their custom settings.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi Imran,

are there any Exception ULS messages before the 5rob message you listed above?

Cheers,
    Stefan

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

Yes there is an Exception message here it is:

11/10/2011 16:24:02.59 w3wp.exe (0x1EE4) 0x1850 CMS Publishing Provisioning 8fic Exception CreateDocumentsDocumentLibrary failed. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.CreateDocumentsDocumentLibrary(SPList approvalTaskList) 

Thanks

Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:26 PM
  • It would require to analyze a dump for the System.NullReferenceException to get more details about where exactly the exception occurs.

I would recommend to open a support case with Microsoft to get this analyzed.

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I had this fixed with following steps....

1) Deactivate publishing features

2)IIS Reset

3)Reactivate

4)ISS Reset

Hope this helps....

Happy Sharepointing... Regards SPTECH07
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:39 PM