Systems Center Essentials does not show any details on Hard Drives Or Software RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am hoping someone could help me with an issue with SCE. Recently the Health Report has stopped showing information on the hard drives and Software status for all the machines on the network with all of the values set to zero. This is just for the two types as the rest of the SCE information is shown including information on OS and Updates. The software has been successfully deployed without any issues or error messages.

The strange thing about this is that it has literally just stopped working (had been working for about three months prior). I am unfortunately not an expert with the software as of yet and have not managed to find any other information on why this would have just stopped working?

If someone could point me in the right direction or maybe explain why this may have stopped I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Adam

• Edited by Adam231 Monday, December 21, 2009 12:44 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hello Adam,

Firstly, please run Event Viewer on the SCE server and check the Operations Manager Eventlog. Is there any error message was logged?

On the problematic agent, check the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log for any related error messages.

Did you modify the Computer Groups or anything else on the SCE server before this issue occured? Did you install any anti-virus software or firewall in your environment?

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, January 4, 2010 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Hello Adam,

There should be two SCE GPOs created on the DC during the SCE Server setup:
    a) "SCE Managed Computers Group Policy”
    b) "System Center Essentials All Computers Policy"

Please check if the GPOs exist after the DC was rebuilt. To find these GPOs:

1) Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2) Right click on the SCE Server and select to”properties”.
    3) Select to “Group Policy” tab.
    4) Find the above two GPOs.

Besides, make sure every agent was a member in the security group of SCE Managed Computers (SCEServer_MG):

1)    Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2)    Expand “Users”
    3)    Find SCE Managed Computers (SCEServer_MG).

Also, check if SCE Service Connection Point (SCP) and SDKServiceSCP exist. Follow the below steps to do it:

1) Open Active Directiry Users and Computers.
     2) Click “View” from the toolbar and select "advanced features" and "users, groups and computers as containers"
     3) Expand SCE server
     4) Find two objects: SCESCP and SDKServiceSCP.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hello Adam,

Firstly, please run Event Viewer on the SCE server and check the Operations Manager Eventlog. Is there any error message was logged?

On the problematic agent, check the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log for any related error messages.

Did you modify the Computer Groups or anything else on the SCE server before this issue occured? Did you install any anti-virus software or firewall in your environment?

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Hi

Many thanks for your reply. As it stands I have not seen any related errors in the operations manager event Viewer, and I have checked the log file again this has not shed any light on the problem.

The problem occured after our Domain controller crashed and needed to be rebuilt, it was after this point that SCE started to show this problem, it is also across the whole network that we are seeing this problem.

We are not seeing any issues with the security software that is being used nothing is being blocked.

Thanks

Adam
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Hello Adam,

There should be two SCE GPOs created on the DC during the SCE Server setup:
    a) "SCE Managed Computers Group Policy”
    b) "System Center Essentials All Computers Policy"

Please check if the GPOs exist after the DC was rebuilt. To find these GPOs:

1) Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2) Right click on the SCE Server and select to”properties”.
    3) Select to “Group Policy” tab.
    4) Find the above two GPOs.

Besides, make sure every agent was a member in the security group of SCE Managed Computers (SCEServer_MG):

1)    Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2)    Expand “Users”
    3)    Find SCE Managed Computers (SCEServer_MG).

Also, check if SCE Service Connection Point (SCP) and SDKServiceSCP exist. Follow the below steps to do it:

1) Open Active Directiry Users and Computers.
     2) Click “View” from the toolbar and select "advanced features" and "users, groups and computers as containers"
     3) Expand SCE server
     4) Find two objects: SCESCP and SDKServiceSCP.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:46 AM
  • Hi Danny,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Hi

Firstly I would like to aplogise for the late reply to this thread, secondly unfortunately I have not found anything wrong with any of the steps that you have laid out above. I have checked all of the connections and security groups on the server all appear to be as they should.

If possible could you let me know the difference if any between how SCE queries for updates and operating system information and how it queries for hard drive information? is this done using WMI. I am trying to drill down deeper and see what the difference is between the working aspect of SCE and the non working aspect.

Once again if you can help at all I would be very grateful

Many Thanks

Adam

Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:01 AM