Windows 7 Professional connected to domain, using windows 2003 Server for SBS will not copy files from network share to local drive RRS feed

• Question

• This problem exists on a new Dell Latitude laptop installed 4 weeks ago.  It is connected to the domain, as all other clients are, with Admin rights on the laptop and the same rights he had with his windows xp machine, which worked fine.

I cannot figure out why this problem exists.  when he trys to copy a file from the network share to his laptop it says it will take various amounts of time then stops with an error that it cannot read from the source file or disk.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

glogstn

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

• Does the computer join in the domain? If not, you need to enable NTLMv2 in the Windows Server 2003.

Enabling NTLMv2 on Windows Server 2003 Computers
    http://imss.caltech.edu/node/395

Please check if the DNS server and DHCP server configurations in the Windows 7 computer is correct. Make sure that the DNS server is set to the domain DNS server and the computer is in the same subnet with the server and other clients. Make sure that the NTFS and sharing permission on the server allows the user to copy the contents.

If the issue persists, temporarily disable antivirus and firewall, then check the result.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:43 AM
  • The laptop is joined to the company domain and has Administrator rights to the computer and full control of the network share he is trying to copy from.  When trying to copy a file (for instance) 450mb it says it will take 3 hours, however it stops on an error that drive/file is not accessable.  I have disable offload options, updated network card driver, disable the tunneling, checked to make sure the new computer name is in AD.

I did check the ip address and addresses of the DNS are correct and they are.  DHCP is enabled, it has an ip in the correct range.

Thank you for any further advice, in advance.

• Edited by Glogstn Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:59 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:58 AM