none
Microsoft Project 2010 - update project with remaining duration RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded MSP to 2010 from 2003. So far I was using extra add on called cc-pulse to update the project with remaining duration. However, it is not compatible with 2010 any more. Now, I am having hard time updating the project in 2010.

I do the following to update project:

(1) Project / Update project /update work as complete through : Week ending date

(2) Enter the date in the "Remaining Duration" column.

(3) Modify the "% Complete" column date to 0% if the task has not started.

Now, I do not want the 3rd step. When I update work as complete through  MSP automatically updates all the incomplete tasks.

Is there a way where I can show progress for only those tasks whose remaining duration was changed in the column. And not show the progress whose remaining duration value remains unchanged?

Thanks !

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Harsh,

Duration and Remaining Duration couldn't be auto edited by any Formula, you would need a macro to update DURATION or ACTUAL DURATION which would in turn would update the default Remaining Duration field. This requires a good VBA skills. Else you can use 3 Custom fields - first as you mentioned "My Remaining days" second "My Duration" third "My Actual duration" where second and third fields could be formula driven.

You can download project SDK for coding reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms512767.aspx

NOTE : Remaining Duration in MS Project is a Formula field = Duration - Actual duration. So it would accept only calculation based on these 2 values.

When you say Actual Duration to become 5, is it your Custom Field or you are refering to Duration or Actual Duration?

Sapna S

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Harsh,

I'm sorry but I couldn't understand the last part of your query where in you said you want to show progress of task whose remaining duration was changed. Are you talking about creating a View or want it to be done through "Update Project" option?

As for your 3 Steps followed above :

To manage Step 3 - you can select in your Step 1 following option - "Update Project through Week ending" selecting second radio button as below :

Set 0% or 100% Complete only - this will mark only tasks past due date as 100% while tasks which have past start but future end date is left at 0%.

so this eliminates your Step 3 of making tasks as 0% for non-started tasks. But still there can be tasks with past due date but not started - so you can 

use the "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after : your week end date. This will shift all unstarted tasks to next working day.

Please let us know if this answers your question or you need further help.

Sapna S

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Hi Sapna,

Many thanks.

But this may not be the solution to my problem. Looking at it this way. If I create custom field called "My Remaining days".

For eg. If I enter "15" in custom field "My remaining days" then I want to increment the default filed "Actual duration" by "5" and default field "Remaining days" by  "10" with some sort of formulas in custom field setting.

So the question is can you change the value of default field ?

HP

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi Harsh,

Duration and Remaining Duration couldn't be auto edited by any Formula, you would need a macro to update DURATION or ACTUAL DURATION which would in turn would update the default Remaining Duration field. This requires a good VBA skills. Else you can use 3 Custom fields - first as you mentioned "My Remaining days" second "My Duration" third "My Actual duration" where second and third fields could be formula driven.

You can download project SDK for coding reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms512767.aspx

NOTE : Remaining Duration in MS Project is a Formula field = Duration - Actual duration. So it would accept only calculation based on these 2 values.

When you say Actual Duration to become 5, is it your Custom Field or you are refering to Duration or Actual Duration?

Sapna S

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:51 AM
  • I meant to change the value default field "Actual Duration". But since it is not possible. I may have to go for VBA.

HP

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:32 AM