none
Print server Windows server 2012 r2 shows printers offline

Question

• Hi,

I migrated printers from W2008r2 to W2012R2.

After some time started showing printers offline on all clients W10, W7 worsktations.

In other forums I found and tried this:

- turned off snmp - no result

- turned on printer drivers isolation - no result

- on w7 instaled fix - it helps, but I have some w10 and for w10 fix does not exists (did'n found)

- replaced \\printserv\printer1 to \\172....\printer1 - it helps, but it not solution for 200 users

- print spooler restart - helps temporary 

- print server w2012r2 - all updates instaled

Monday, May 28, 2018 7:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Did you have domain environment?

>I migrated printers from W2008r2 to W2012R2.

Did ip address of printer server change?

You could redeploy printer via GPO

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/02/03/step-by-step-setting-up-printers-via-group-policy/

There is a similar issue with you,please refer to it.

How to: Fix a network printer suddenly showing as offline in Windows Vista, 7 or 8

http://blog.rtwilson.com/how-to-fix-a-network-printer-suddenly-showing-as-offline-in-windows-vista/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:37 AM
  • if restarting the spooler on the client always kicks this back to life, then this indicates that the security token the client has to the server has expired and is not getting updated through the code. 

When one stops and starts the spooler on the client, the connection is initialized and a new security token is generated.

The issue is generally not on the server side of the equation.

When you migrated the printers, what did you do to the server?  Is the server name the same? If yes, did you delete the machine container created by Server 2008R2 before joining the 2012r2 machine to the domain?

If the print server is a new name, did that machine name exist on the domain previously?

Do all the client machines point to the same DNS and secondary DNS servers?

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Helped:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print and adding a new DWORD called SNMPLegacy with the value 1

I think it was problem with one department printer status recognition

At first I deployed  registry settings to this department computers to try if it helps.

And after that problem solved for all company (2 days no incidents) 

• Edited by Gerardas Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:12 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:11 AM