NAP server in Windows 2000 AD RRS feed

• Question

•  

We want to test solutions for PC having no compliance for Antivirus or updates

I have 2 questions in this regard.

Can WIndows 2008 member server for NAP will work in 2000 AD

Certificate service authentication is mandatory in NAP for 802.1x or another way also

Regards

Muhammad Faisal

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:34 AM

Answers

•  

Hello Muhammad,

To answer your questions below I have not heard of a reason why NAP will not work in a Windows 2000 AD domain.  I have not seen this documented anywhere and have not tested it, but cant think of a reason why not. 

Second if use 802.1x you have to use EAP Authentication and in doing so you will need at least a Certificate on NPS server if you use PEAP MSChap.  PEAP/TLS or EAP/TLS will require certificates on the server and clients.

Check Out http://www.microsoft.com/nap it will have a step by step guide for 802.1x and NAP.

Hope this Helps,.

Louis H

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

•  

Hello Muhammad,

To answer your questions below I have not heard of a reason why NAP will not work in a Windows 2000 AD domain.  I have not seen this documented anywhere and have not tested it, but cant think of a reason why not. 

Second if use 802.1x you have to use EAP Authentication and in doing so you will need at least a Certificate on NPS server if you use PEAP MSChap.  PEAP/TLS or EAP/TLS will require certificates on the server and clients.

Check Out http://www.microsoft.com/nap it will have a step by step guide for 802.1x and NAP.

Hope this Helps,.

Louis H

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:43 PM
  • NAP will work just fine in a Windows 2000 forest.

Thanks,

Pat

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:13 PM