How can I create a workflow that will send 1 email per day, advising of new items in list. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am not a developer, so I really hope the answer isn't Visual Studio.

Basically what I want to do is send one email per day to a group of users, advising them that there are X amount of new items in a SharePoint list.

I have created the list and got all the back end functionality working, but just cannot figure out how to produce this workflow.

Anyone got any ideas where I should start?

Thanks,

Michael

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• If you really wanted to use workflow for this, it would have to be with Visual Studio.

Luckily there's a much better option for this than workflows. SharePoint has a built in alerting mechanism that can accomplish exactly this. If you go to your list, from the "Actions" menu you should be able to see an "Alert Me" option. This is designed to create alert emails for yourself, but you can actually use it to create alerts for other users too. The first box it gives you will let you select what users the alert should go to. You can select what alert type you need, in this case it would be when "New items are added". You could choose to filter which items are included, but in this case just leave it when "Anything changes", and then choose to send a daily summary, at whatever time suits you best.

The alerting mechanism can be pretty powerful so it's worth experimenting with the different options, but the above ones should fill your immediate need.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:38 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• If you really wanted to use workflow for this, it would have to be with Visual Studio.

Luckily there's a much better option for this than workflows. SharePoint has a built in alerting mechanism that can accomplish exactly this. If you go to your list, from the "Actions" menu you should be able to see an "Alert Me" option. This is designed to create alert emails for yourself, but you can actually use it to create alerts for other users too. The first box it gives you will let you select what users the alert should go to. You can select what alert type you need, in this case it would be when "New items are added". You could choose to filter which items are included, but in this case just leave it when "Anything changes", and then choose to send a daily summary, at whatever time suits you best.

The alerting mechanism can be pretty powerful so it's worth experimenting with the different options, but the above ones should fill your immediate need.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:38 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

You can do this in a better and easy way using built in alert me functionality.

Go to the list and under actions you will find this and you can use it to send alerts to the users on daily basis.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:22 PM