Microsoft Access/Excel Novice wishes to configure, access, sign on to Database Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Microsoft Access and have Access/Excel 2000 on my Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Edition. In both programs when I try to import external data, a dialog box suggests several server sites but requires a server name and user id/ password. Also. if I launch sample Access Projects, a message indicating I should load MSDE2000 from my CD-ROM but, if I do, a Microsoft message prevents from doing so because of incompatibility issues.

First, can I configure, access, and sign on to a database server with my updated Windows 7 computer using these old XP software packages?

Second, what's the best approach determine which servers are available and what are their contents.

Are there any servers that are free to access?

Sorry for this apparently uneducated request but I wish to become more involved in Data Retrieval and Microsoft Developers Software. I selected one forum category out of many that are listed Thank you for you response. fcZZ.

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• For Office related topics, please discuss in our Office forum.

Microsoft Office Excel / Access
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceles/threads

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by fcZZ Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:46 AM

All replies

• For Office related topics, please discuss in our Office forum.

Microsoft Office Excel / Access
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceles/threads

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by fcZZ Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Dear Arthur, Thank you for redirecting me to the appropriate forum. fcZZ
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:36 PM