50+ users, no AD, complicated but... how to do this with App-V? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings. I have one pretty complicated situation with this software deployment project that I have going and I've been thinking/brainstorming to change my approach completely.

Here's the deal. I have 50+ companies (each and every one with 3-5 users, and the number is growing fast to a hundred companies). I need to give them access to a piece of software they'll use to fill in some forms. The whole system design is rather simple - I have a MS SQL server running db's for the application but... I'd really like to make this a cloud-type service so it's easier to manage. I really don't feel like supporting 100 companies with 300+ users that don't know how to update/upgrade the application which they'll surely need to do in the future. There's obviously no possibility of using Active Directory/Domain-type management/support as these are different companies so I can't join their computers to "my" domain as they're already joined to their own domains.

What I'd like to do is - virtualize this application through App-V - either via TS (TS/TS Web access) or RDS so they can connect to one location (RDS or TS server). They should have the shortcut to the application on their desktops, I'd like to assign them rights to the application on the per-user/per-company basis.

The thing is that each company has to have its own DB tables for which I'd build a MSSQL cluster.

There are two things that I have a problem with. First is - how to deploy - essentially - 50+ "different" applications (as they have to access a different DB tables) and have effective management of the whole system for the future.

Any ideas would be hugely welcome.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:47 AM

Answers

• It sounds more like application architecture challenges that you are working through, rather than delivery issues. Delivery via App-V and RDS won't fundamentally change how the application works, they're just another delivery mechanism.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• It sounds more like application architecture challenges that you are working through, rather than delivery issues. Delivery via App-V and RDS won't fundamentally change how the application works, they're just another delivery mechanism.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hi

App-V requires an agent to work with at every client side and works along with AD infrastructure. This would be really a tedious task to get all the different companies and their users into AD infrastructure and to specify which OU is permissioned to use which software.

If your software is an inhouse developed, i recommend a web based approach[interaction from the client using a web browser] would fit in your requirement to support all your clients.

Hope this is helpful!

Sivatej.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:44 PM

That's absolutely true. The fact that the application developer isn't capable of doing the application as it should be done is annoying at best. Login-password-company authentification (company as a pull-down menu required to log in) mechanism would be more then enough to take care of 90% of all of the problems. Having a .ini configuration file for application services (client and server) would take care of the remaining 10%. But nope, everything has to be done in the most complicated way possible. I'm trying to set up this platform to work as a cloud-based platform so people supporting it can make some money in the future. Not waste it on TeamViewer, VNC and RDC mechanisms to upgrade the application, or - God forbid - going to the physical location.

If you guys have any other ideas, they're hugely welcome. And even as it is - thanks.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi

App-V requires an agent to work with at every client side and works along with AD infrastructure. This would be really a tedious task to get all the different companies and their users into AD infrastructure and to specify which OU is permissioned to use which software.

If your software is an inhouse developed, i recommend a web based approach[interaction from the client using a web browser] would fit in your requirement to support all your clients.

Hope this is helpful!

Sivatej.

The thing is, all of the companies need to run the same piece of software - same applications (server and client), but with different configuration for them (as different companies need to have different tables to write to and retreive data from on the supporting MS SQL server). This is the same application (with client and server) that they need, it's not different applications. So, that would probably mean that if I had 50 companies using it, I'd need to stream the application 50 times over and over again when each new version comes out. I wouldn't have a problem with doing that if it would be a feasible thing to do without the AD. Can't App-V work in standalone mode without the AD?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Can't App-V work in standalone mode without the AD?
    Take a look at Authorization Manager: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732203(WS.10).aspx

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:12 AM