Check Out/In Question RRS feed

• Question

• At our facility, we have a finance department of about 15 individuals working on a group of files, (10 massive Excel Workbook files) that have references and links with eachother, that when some fields change on one, it updates the formulas on others. 

During the Check In/Out process for SharePoint, is there a way that when one individual opens one of the Excel files in the group of 10, the remaining nine files are ALSO locked from being updated?

Or perhaps, seeing that these 10 files all reside in the same folder, is there a way to check in/out the entire folder of files?  (as to treat all 10 files as "one entity" to be checked in/out and versioning)

I appreciate your time and assistance with this, and please let me know if my question(s) require additional clarification.

Best Regards!
    -James Granell

Friday, June 17, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As per my knowledge, sharepoint worklfow will help you for the same.

when perticular excel sheet is being edited, you can list the set of excel file that are dependent and make them check out through workflow.

once job done you can check in the file and all related files.

i think sharepoint designer workflow can acheive this.

ullasjoshi
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:28 PM
  • HI,

I suggest you to craete an event receiver thatw ill get fired up when the first document is being edited and will carry out thechanges in other documents as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• I Hi,

When a document is checked out by a person it is locked for others for editing.

I hope this willhelp.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Thank you for your response Rahul!  Yes, I saw that part in the features overview, thank you, and this will certainly help with a few other users who have one or two files on the server.

Though, I was wondering if it were possible to lock several "dependent" files together when one (1) of them is in use.  The reason being, these 10 documents are really dependent on each other. 

For example: Say one of the 15 people in the department (Person A) opens the Excel document #3 to update a few values, these updates could affect formulas in document #s 6 and 9, which then refer to values in document #2.  But ONLY document #3 will be locked.

So, if the same person (Person A) has the above change(s) to make to just one document, and say a second person (Person B) also has changes to make, but to a different document, say Document #2, this will Lock just Document #2. 

But the problem that I could see happening, would be the changes that Person A makes (as the 10 files depend on eachother to be available) might cause errors as two documents are locked by two different people, and changes made in one, will not affect the documents evenly.

So, that is why I was wondering, that if Person A has changes to make to one document, it will lock ALL of the 10 documents to person A's control.  And Person B will ONLY be able to make his/her changes only when Person A releases the document back.  This way, it will make sure all the dependent documents, even if it is just one that has values that change, will be locked so that the inter-linking is maintained correctly.

I hope this might make the question a bit more clear, and sorry it wasn't clarified previously.

Best Regards,
    -James Granell

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

interesting question, my question is using formulas you are trying to connect to two different work book/excel files?or single work book with multiple sheet in it?

how can 2 workbook/excel files can be dependent on each other?

ullasjoshi
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Hi UllasSJoshi,

Honestly I have not seen the files open myself - as it contains quite sensitive data within.  But how it's been described to me by the CFO, was that there is a set of 10 workbook file with Financial data.  Each containing sections of unique financial data, and other parts of each work have formulas that pull/reference data from each other.

So if someone (say Person A) has "Checked out" workbook #4 to work on, entering data, there are functions that are running off of the data being entered calculating projections, where these calculations are based upon various data values from Workbooks #s 2, 3, 7 and 10.

Now, say if another person (Person B) is "checking out" Workbook #7 to work on, this would lock Workbook #7 from being used as a reference on work that Person A is working on.  (as, Workbook #4 has portions of it that pull from Workbook #7)

So that is why I was wondering if there was a way, in SharePoint Server, that can be set up, to treat ALL the workbooks (#s 1 - 10) as one separate entity, so that when Person A is working on Workbook #4, it check's them ALL out to his/her control.  So that Person B will have to wait until Person A is finished with workbook #4 and checked it back in before being allowed to work on Workbook #7.

I did see on the SharePoint overview/videos that something referred to "Document Groups" are able to be created, but the video demo wasn't successful in answering my questions.

Hopefully that helps clear up any confusion.

Best Regards,
    -James-

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

As per my knowledge, sharepoint worklfow will help you for the same.

when perticular excel sheet is being edited, you can list the set of excel file that are dependent and make them check out through workflow.

once job done you can check in the file and all related files.

i think sharepoint designer workflow can acheive this.

ullasjoshi
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:28 PM
  • HI,

I suggest you to craete an event receiver thatw ill get fired up when the first document is being edited and will carry out thechanges in other documents as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Great!  Thank you, both, for your suggestions. 

From what I am gathering, it sounds like SharePoint Server - through one of the above setups or another, can do what we are looking for:

So that when one person check's out one of the 10 Excel documents, ALL of the 10 documents will be locked until the user checks the one back in again, am I correct?

If so, than I believe this could be a very viable candidate for the project task.

Again, I thank you very much for your advise and suggestions.

Best Regards,
    -James-

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Using a custom Workflow/Event receiver are all great customization options.

If you want to use an OOTB option to check multiple files then try to use Content and Structure tool from Site Settings after enabling Publishing features on the site collection. Please remember that it has to be done manually but it is a user friendly interface.

Here to help.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:37 PM