none
Creating custom view in project. RRS feed

• Question

• I’m having some issues. I’m copying “task sheet” to create my own custom view for an ‘MDL’ view. Trouble is, even though i copied it, the original “task sheet” columns are changing as i change them in my new MDL view. Its like they are mirrored.

Is this the correct behaviour, i had assumed that by creating a new view from a copy of another view that the original wouldn’t be changed at all??

Thanks

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:38 AM

Answers

• gdallas --

Make a copy of the Entry table, give it a new name, and then specify the columns you want to see.  Then include the new custom table in your custom MDL view.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by gdallas Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Now we are going places. I was using 2010 indeed. This is not the first time I see a file made in 2010 and saved as 2007 behave badly. I saved as 2007 as well and could observe the exact same error you saw. So you're not having hallucinations :-)

Now I'm not a giver-upper so I did try to remedy this. I saved the "bad" file (in Project 2007) as Project 2003, then reopened with Project 2007 and behold... clean as a whistle, no problems. Even when saving this "cleaned" file again as 2007...  no problems any more, the file is really "cleaned".

Please don't ask to explain :-) I'm glad enough I could help you!

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• gdallas --

Make a copy of the Entry table, give it a new name, and then specify the columns you want to see.  Then include the new custom table in your custom MDL view.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by gdallas Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Worked a Treat,. Thanks
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:58 PM
  • actually, it semed to work. howver when ever i add collumns to my new view the table reverts back to the orginal "entry" table. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Edit your new view (More Views - Edit) to check with which table it is connected. Modify if necessary.

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Yes thats what i was doing. I made sure that my new table “MDL TABLE (entry)” is selected. I can then remove collumsn from my new view with no problems. Hwowver when i attempt to insert new column, my view immediately reverts back to “entry” table.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Two ideas come o mind:

-Do you work in a Server environment? (Server will sometimes stop you from updating some views)

-If not, can you send me the file (jandemesATprom-ade.be)? You can delete all task and resource info if that is proprietary information.

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Not a server environment. But do work from a resource pool. PP attached.

Thanks

• Edited by gdallas Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

I don't know what you might be doing differently, but when I insert of delete a table in the MDL view thisus in the MDL table) is-t stays in that view as expected, and the Entry table nor the Gantt Chart view are modified: as expected as well. I cannot reproduce the error you describe.

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:14 PM
  • hi,

I sent the file home to try, and your right it does work! im using 2010 at home, but 2007 at work! didnt do anything different!

what version are you using?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

Now we are going places. I was using 2010 indeed. This is not the first time I see a file made in 2010 and saved as 2007 behave badly. I saved as 2007 as well and could observe the exact same error you saw. So you're not having hallucinations :-)

Now I'm not a giver-upper so I did try to remedy this. I saved the "bad" file (in Project 2007) as Project 2003, then reopened with Project 2007 and behold... clean as a whistle, no problems. Even when saving this "cleaned" file again as 2007...  no problems any more, the file is really "cleaned".

Please don't ask to explain :-) I'm glad enough I could help you!

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:36 PM
  • haha, phew! cheers mate.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:28 PM