All Rules NOT work after a System Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows 7(64bit) + Outlook 2010(64bit). Both are OK.

Yesterday evening when I shut down my compuer, I see there are about 8 updates.

This morning when I start Outlook as before, I see a "Outlook is not the default email client" warning. I just click "OK" to make Outlook as the default email client again, then Outlook start as normal. However, I find all the incoming emails come to my Inbox without filtered by any rules. Therefore, I try to click "Rules" -> "Manage Rules & Alerts", but get the following error

"Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid"

and cannot start the rule manager at all.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem? I think the problem is caused by the system update since nothing else happens since my last use of Outlook yesterday evening.

I have made a full system backup on last Sunday, if it is impossible to solve the problem, is there a way to restore the Outlook rules via Backup? Where is Outlook store the rules?

Thanks

• Edited by chcw Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which type of email account did you set up in your Outlook? Exchange, IMAP or POP3? Outlook store rules in mailbox or data file, it depends on the account type you are using.

You may first try a repairing of your Office installation and then see whether this issue continues. For your convenience:

Repair an Office application

Besides, you may try creating a new Outlook mail profile and then reconfigure you account in the new mail profile to see whether it helps. For your convenience: Create an Outlook profile.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

I am using POP3 account. Where are the rules stored? In mailbox or data file?

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2018 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

For a POP3 account, the rules are stored in the data file (.PST). You may try using the Scanpst.exe tool to repair your PST file, then try opening the manage rules wizard again to see the result. For your convenience:

Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, November 19, 2018 8:52 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2018 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Feel free to post back if you need further assistance here.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, November 26, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Hi, Steve,

I finally solved the problem by restoring to a timepoint before the system update, removing all my rules, then perform the system update again to solve the problem.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, December 3, 2018 10:14 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2018 8:28 AM
  • Good to hear that. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:14 AM