Office Online Server / Skype for Business external access RRS feed

• Question

• *UPDATE*  Finally figured this out.  It was related to the reverse proxy, and X-Frame-Options headers.  To get the client rendering the frame correctly I had to completely remove all traces of the X-Frame-Options.  In NGINX this was done by using:

proxy_hide_header       X-Frame-Options;

This stops all X-Frame-Options from being passed to client.  

======================

We have recently set up an Office Online Server (Office web apps server) on-prem to allow powerpoint file sharing functionality.  This has been deployed using an internal and external URL, and the "<URL>/hosting/discovery" works both internally and externally, bringing back the XML page fine.  Internal office based skype for business users on Windows 10 running SfB2016 client can use the "share powerpoint" feature fine, and all users invited into the meeting see it rendered properly.  All attendees can also download the pptx file fine (I realise this isn't using the OOS, and is only using the front-end).

Externally is where I have a problem.  All meeting functions work fine and voice/video etc functions correctly.  When sharing a powerpoint file though, the file is uploaded properly to the frontend server, and appears as an attachment which all other internal/external users can download.  So far so good.  When attempting to present the powerpoint file, the upload works fine to all clients as expected, and the presentation appears on internal client's correctly, but on external clients, it just shows a "loading..." spinner which never resolves.  The attachment itself is visible to external clients, and they can download it, but it never displays within the S4B client window.

I tried to test this outside the S4B client from the same external computer that was presenting the issue, and it worked fine.  Using fiddler and extracting the WAC request URI, I pasted this into Chrome and it loaded fine.

The most bizarre thing is that using iOS skype for business client, or MacOS skype for business externally also works perfectly, and the slide deck is displayed fine.  Only windows machines off-site are failing to display the presentation (even though it displays fine when loading the same URL link in a chrome browser).

I'm completely stumped on why this is failing (only from external windows machines), considering :

a.  If it was a firewall / DNS / reverse proxy problem, the powerpoint presentation would not correctly render on an external machine via a browser when visiting the 

b.  Everything works perfectly using a non-windows skype for business client (macos and ios show the slide fine)

c.  All certificates are valid when visiting the internal and/or external office online server discovery URL.

I've also tried setting and removing the HTTP X-frame-options header on the reverse proxy.  This was initially stopping the file from rendering when testing the request in a browser, and setting it to SAMEORIGIN fixed it.  I've tried with SAMEORIGIN, and also removing it altogether, but regardless of this the skype for business client won't render the PPTX file from an external client.

Any ideas why this is proving to be problematic using the specific combination of Windows / SFB client / external network?  Other scenarios and device types (Macos), are all working fine, and browsers load the file perfectly when using the WAC URL.  IT's just the S4B client that fails.  I've tested this on 2 different external windows 10 machines, and both have the same issue.  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by BH777141 Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:16 PM

Answers

• *UPDATE*  Finally figured this out.  It was related to the reverse proxy, and X-Frame-Options headers.  To get the client rendering the frame correctly I had to completely remove all traces of the X-Frame-Options.  In NGINX this was done by using:

proxy_hide_header       X-Frame-Options;

This stops all X-Frame-Options from being passed to client.  

======================

Hi BH777141,

Thanks for your sharing ,please mark this reply ,it will help others who have similar issus.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:31 AM