none
How do I get rid of the Administrator? RRS feed

• Question

• My brother-in-law gave me this Envy laptop with Windows 10 on it.  I've never had anything to do with an Administrator, until now when I'm being told I cannot delete Livedrive without signing in as an Administrator!!  Please HELP! I am an 82-year-old widow, and I live alone.  Nobody uses this computer, in any network or whatever, except me.  Thanks!
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:17 PM

All replies

• You cannot get rid of the administrator concept in Windows. Administrator rights or approval are required for certain tasks with Windows. Contact your brother-in-law who gave you laptop and advise him of the problem. Get him to help or provide the administrator login for you laptop.
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi Bittypool8,

Sounds like you are a standard user. Usually you don't do something that requires administrator privileges. But if you want to uninstall and install software, or change the system settings, you need administrator privilege. This is the system's protection of its user’s account. So as Mr Happy said, you could contact your brother-in-law to get the administrator name and password.

Then if you want to disable the admin account, you could use the command below

net user administrator /active:no

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-remove-the-administrator-account-on/5abd640e-8b06-4f7c-ad16-a07e391ea291

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:44 AM
  • Hi Bittypool8,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:51 AM