In Vista the screen goes blank with only curser showing but in safe mode all works normally RRS feed

• Question

• My computer crashed last night. Then when I tried to re start the computer it will not open in normal mode. Then I tried to start by pressf8 and opened in safe mode. It is operating normally. But as soon as try to open in normal mode the screen blanks out and only show curser. Then I pserr ctrl+alt+delet and i get five options including Task Master, log off, etc but on pressing Task master it blanks out instead of opening the Main screen. I then shut off the computer and reopen in safe mode and everything is normal including operation of internet.

What is to be done so that the computer opens normall mode

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:52 AM

Answers

• the fact that it opens properly in safemode means that its a driver issue.

first, when you press f8, select enable vga mode. if tat doesn't work then,

boot up with  a windows vista disk, select "repair your computer" choose system restore, folow the process to restore your computer to a date before the problem began.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:29 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:33 PM

All replies

• the fact that it opens properly in safemode means that its a driver issue.

first, when you press f8, select enable vga mode. if tat doesn't work then,

boot up with  a windows vista disk, select "repair your computer" choose system restore, folow the process to restore your computer to a date before the problem began.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:29 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that if there is any programs installed or did you configure any settings before the issue occurs.

If the problem still persists after taking the steps which Drtunababa provided, please continue with the following instructions.

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

8. Restart the computer and have a test.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:31 AM