none
How to set Compatibility Mode for a single site in ie10 RRS feed

• Question

• This question was originally posted on the Answers forum - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/how-to-set-compatibility-mode-for-a-single-site-in/187152e3-142a-4d96-8d1b-af82ef571eec

I am having problem with getting ie10 to set ie9 compatibility for a single site (sharepoint.contoso.com).

When I add this website in Compatibility View Settings (Alt > Tools > Compatibility View Settings > 'Add this Website') it adds the domain 'contoso.com' and not the individual website (sharepoint.contoso.com).

This cause other sites (www.contoso.com) to be configured to use compatibility mode. Because this is a separate site (different web server) to the site sharepoint.contoso.com (sharepoint 2010 server) we need different compatibility settings.

Using a different example to explain the issue -

Microsoft has three websites that are different websites created by different developers written in different programming languages and they only work with certain browsers.

• microsoft.com (Website1 created by Developer1) - compatible with ie8/ie9/ie10
    • msdn.microsoft.com (Website2 created by Developer2) - compatible with ie8/ie9
    • technet.microsoft.com (Website3 website created by Developer3) - compatible only with ie10

The only thing the three website share is the URL contains 'microsoft.com'.

Marking 'msdn.microsoft.com' to run in compatibility mode affects the other 2 websites - mainly technet.microsoft.com which will not work now since it only runs in pure ie10 mode. 

Should you be able to add an individual site to the compatibility list instead of all sites that have  .microsoft.com in the URL? Am I missing a simple setting in the ie10?

As a workaround I am using the F12 Developer Tools to set the Browser Mode which temporary sets the compatibility mode. However this is not a nice solution to the end users at our organisation. 

• Edited by KimT7 Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:56 AM

Answers

• How about using group policy?

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Compatibility View

Enable "Use Policy List of Quriks Mode sites" in the right pane.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:29 AM

All replies

• How about using group policy?

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Compatibility View

Enable "Use Policy List of Quriks Mode sites" in the right pane.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:29 AM
  • How do you solve this for home computers with Windows 7 Home or 8/8.1 Core?

Gpedit.msc does not seam to exist on these Operating Systems.

Is there a registry key we can "hack" in compatibility mode through?

/Aldus

/Aldus

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Where is the User Configuration screen in Windows 7?
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Would be nice to be able to unmark as answer since the problem is not solved for non corporate environments...

/Aldus

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:03 AM
  • problem is not solved for non corporate environments...

You could start your own thread.  Then if you got that answer and it was marked Answered you would have the ability to unmark it.  The OP of this one seems satisfied.  Also note that this is TechNet.  Consumers can get help on Answers forums.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:55 PM
    Answerer
  • problem is not solved for non corporate environments...

You could start your own thread.  Then if you got that answer and it was marked Answered you would have the ability to unmark it.  The OP of this one seems satisfied.  Also note that this is TechNet.  Consumers can get help on Answers forums.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Oh! I wrote it wrong: I should have said: This is not solved for NON-AD environments. No demands what so ever to use Window 7/8 professional in a small corporation or on a big corporation with Island of smaller departments for example offshore.

The problem is that the thread is not "Answered" by the OP, its is marked answered by a moderator (and same moderator that did the answer) so no way of telling if the OP is satisfied.

But you are right in the fact that I am almost kidnapping the thread. But a complete answer would benefit all in this case I would presume.

Regards

/Aldus

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:53 AM