public folder report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Any way to get report from exchange 2003 environment that when the public folder was last accessed by user?

Thanks

SMF

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that you want to get an report about Public folder.

Unfortunately, Exchange server can’t report the time that public folder has been last accessed.
    However in most  cases we want to know how many items each public folder contains or when the newest item was created in a folder, we can use PFDAVAdmin in Exchange server 2003. This tool is especially useful when correcting problems in permissions caused by M drive scanning or modifications made through a non-MAPI interface. Another common usage is to export or import folder permissions set on public folders and mailboxes.

More information about PFDAVAdmin, for your reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/bb508858(v=exchg.65).aspx
    Additional, Exchange server 2003 has been out of support, I suggest upgrade to Exchange server 2010 or 2013.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:08 AM

All replies

• Not easily with Exchange 2003.  If you know MAPI programming and have time to write an application, you can do it.  However, Exchange 2003 has no good interfaces for easy access to this information, the way that Exchange 2007 and higher do.
    Monday, October 27, 2014 5:07 PM
  • You can use PFDavAdmin to export properties of folders. The folders you would be interested in would be 

PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME : 0x30080040
    PR_LAST_MODIFIER_SID : 0x0F590102

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22427

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

Monday, October 27, 2014 5:14 PM
  • I don't have a public folder tree to try this on, but I'm not sure if the last time an item is accessed in the folder is going to update the "modification time", since it's not a modification to the folder, but to its contents. And if a message is read (that was already marked as read), I don't think there's any modification done, so this will not give anything useful.

I'll add that I attempted to change settings on one of my folders and the account that the system says was used was NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.  And any access to items within the folder did nothing to the folder access information.

Monday, October 27, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I understand that you want to get an report about Public folder.

Unfortunately, Exchange server can’t report the time that public folder has been last accessed.
    However in most  cases we want to know how many items each public folder contains or when the newest item was created in a folder, we can use PFDAVAdmin in Exchange server 2003. This tool is especially useful when correcting problems in permissions caused by M drive scanning or modifications made through a non-MAPI interface. Another common usage is to export or import folder permissions set on public folders and mailboxes.

More information about PFDAVAdmin, for your reference:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/bb508858(v=exchg.65).aspx
    Additional, Exchange server 2003 has been out of support, I suggest upgrade to Exchange server 2010 or 2013.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:08 AM