New Exchange 2010 install and Coexistence between Exchange Server 2010 and Exchange Server versions RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing Exchange 2010 for the first time.  No other Exchange server exists.

During the install, I am getting an X with message on all roles (HUB, CAS and Mailbox):

Coexistence between Exchange Server 2010 and Exchange Server versions older than Exchange Server 2007 SP2 in the same Active Directory Site is not supported.

I don't understand since I don't have another Exchange server in my domain.  Help?

Friday, November 25, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

• Also use ADSIEdit and drill through the configuration container\Services\Microsoft Exchange\"Your Organization name"\administrative groups. Go through all the groups and you'll see a server's container. Any ghost servers in there?  If there try to delete them and dont give same org name for newly installing server.
    Since it is a testing lab you could install new dc but dont give up till find the solution for this...:D

Thanks & Regards, Kottees
    • Marked as answer by Pearlyshells Friday, December 2, 2011 12:42 AM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Did you install exchange and uninstall it before?  if so this could be the problem.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:25 PM
  • yes. I did.  how do I get around it?
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:23 PM
  • get rid of this error you have to run the metadata cleanup.

i would suggest you to remove that particular(which you installed exchange before) server from the network.

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply.   I've used ADSIEdit to see if I could locate another instance of an Exchange Server.   All I see is the Exchange Server that I am trying to install.  At least, I presume it is the one that I am trying to install.   Is the server created as soon as the install begins?  I got to the point where the install runs thru the System checks , hub role, cas role and mailbox role.   If the server is not created at that point then the instance I am seeing is an older one and I will remove that one but if not....then, all I am seeing is the current server that is trying to install.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Please answer below questions:

1. Is this test environment or production?

2. Are you installing exchange 2010 on same server which you installed exchange before?

JFR:http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/remove-exchange-server-entire-exchange-organization.html

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:22 AM
  • it is a test environment and no.   I am installing Exchange 2010 on a virtual machine.  In fact, the test environment is a virtual environment with a vm that is a DC, as well.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:28 PM
  • please describe your lab setup in detail here...

more specifically i need on which server you installed and uninstalled exchange before... whether that server part of the setup now.. 

Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:11 PM
  • It is a Vmware vsphere environment with one VM that acts as the windows 2008 Domain Controller/DNS and DHCP server.  All other VMs are temporary test servers.   I had an Exchange 2003 at one time and an Exchange 2007 at another time.  When the servers completed their tests they were deleted from the disks completely.  So, the actual VMs that the Exchange systems were installed on were deleted.  I also removed from the domain the server instances.  So, as of now, the only VM that exists from all the other tests is the domain controller for the test domain.    I thought I removed each instance properly and checked that no server instances existed in Sites and Services and Users and Computers as well as check the containers using ADSIEdit.   I have not seen any remaining instances.  So, I am confused.   Perhaps I should check NTDSUtil.   But, since I do not recall the exact name for the servers I can not use NTDSUtil to find any instances with it.  Is there a way to list all orphaned servers with ntdsutil or any other application?
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Also use ADSIEdit and drill through the configuration container\Services\Microsoft Exchange\"Your Organization name"\administrative groups. Go through all the groups and you'll see a server's container. Any ghost servers in there?  If there try to delete them and dont give same org name for newly installing server.
    Since it is a testing lab you could install new dc but dont give up till find the solution for this...:D

• Marked as answer by Pearlyshells Friday, December 2, 2011 12:42 AM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:40 AM
  • no luck.  I executed adsiedit.msc on the DC.  Did not see a container called Services.    But, looked in all the containers anyway....no Exchange server other than the one being created.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:07 PM