Exporting to .pst from online archiving office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,
    I have enabled for some of my company users online archiving from office 365, after using this service I started to face a lot of hangs and delays while trying to access the archived emails from Outlook, and I don't want to say how bad the situation is when I try to search for an archived email, the Outlook just stuck and the only way to get it back is by closing the Outlook and reopen it again.
    I have discussed this issue with office 365 support but its hopeless as they said this technology has limited features and they couldn't help me with it.

Now one of my users and happen to be our Deputy CEO who receives around 40K emails yearly had enough with it and I'm trying to find a solution which I would like to have your support with it if possible.

First of all the retention policy for this user is the default one, which is any email older than 1 year will be moved to online archive.

after checking the amount of emails moved to the archive I found that he have around 22 GB size of emails, I tried to export the emails to .pst file from the outlook but due to the emails size whenever I try to export them the process start but after some time is hangs and never finish till the end.
    I have tried to use the eDiscovery tool from the Security & Compliance portal but I couldn't figure out how to export only the archived emails.

My question is: Can anyone help me on how to properly export the archived emails to .pst file so I can disable the online archiving after that and just connect the file to the user's Outlook.

another point is the current emails in the user Inbox for only last year is around 34K so I'm having issues most of the times with the user .ost file as sometimes this file reaches to more that 200 GB of size and after that decreases, and sometime the Outlook just stops receiving emails without any reason and even with office 365 support guys the only solution is to delete the profile and create a new one and download all the emails from beginning which is a really hard task to do with this amount of emails.

Kindly advice me on how to target these strange behavers/issues with the .ost file and even if you can suggest a third party tools which are reliable and can help to better manage those users.
    Thanks in advance
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

As of now the only possible solution I have found is to manually copy/move the emails from the In-place Archive folders to the prospective mailbox folders from the OWA after stopping the retention policy. I know in my case it's not practical at all since I need to copy/move around 100k of emails and specially after I found that the OWA can't copy/move more than 200 emails at once (I have tried to select larger number of emails (1000, 500, 300) at once but the outlook only copy/move some of them but not all), so currently this is the only working solution I have found, but still i'm waiting O365 support engineer to call me tomorrow as he promised to find another solution, also I have found third party tool which works with In-Place Archive emails 

https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/office-365-backup/

I have tried the trail version and it worked but I didn't buy the product as it cost 500$ and I don't have the budget to buy and test, so I'm not sure if the tool can do the job with large email numbers.

regards.

Ghaith

• Edited by azzawi Friday, August 17, 2018 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by azzawi Friday, August 17, 2018 4:30 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 12:40 PM

All replies

• Exporting to PST is crappy operation, a better alternative is to move those items directly to the primary mailbox. You can do it via the Copy/Move functionality in OWA (Outlook also, but OWA will be much faster). Or do it via some EWS-based script, such as the one here: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/office/PowerShell-Merge-mailbox-e769c529
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:55 AM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

Agree with Vasil, please also refer to the following article:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Backup-Exchange-Online-b9f39c5c

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Hi Vasil,
    I haven't tried the Copy/Move functionality in OWA yet but I would like to ask you if you have tried this before on emails which are archived using the In-Place Archive, As you know the server move those emails automatically based on the retention policy applied and since till now the In-Place Archive feature is still enabled on the user mailbox so all the emails will be moved automatically, and I can't disable the feature unless I move the emails cause once the In-Place Archive got disable all the emails will be gone.
    My point is do you know if this is going to work with Archived emails or not.

and if these ways works with Archive can you please give me some more details on how to use them.

regards

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Hi Jason,

thanks for your comment, I have went through the link provided by you

I have tried the eDiscovery tool with O365 support and it didn't work when we tried to export only the Archived emails even though the query (In-Place Archived) is correct, the search result will show as 0 emails found. the only way it worked while there is no specific query in which it will find all the emails.

Also I have talked to the support of the office365export tool and they informed me that the tool doesn't work with Archived emails.

Hope that you have other solutions.

Regards

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:55 AM
  • The Online Archive and retention policies/tags are different features, you can disable retention without "touching" the archive. Check for example this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335168(v=exchg.150).aspx
    • Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Any updates?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hi Jason,

As of now the only possible solution I have found is to manually copy/move the emails from the In-place Archive folders to the prospective mailbox folders from the OWA after stopping the retention policy. I know in my case it's not practical at all since I need to copy/move around 100k of emails and specially after I found that the OWA can't copy/move more than 200 emails at once (I have tried to select larger number of emails (1000, 500, 300) at once but the outlook only copy/move some of them but not all), so currently this is the only working solution I have found, but still i'm waiting O365 support engineer to call me tomorrow as he promised to find another solution, also I have found third party tool which works with In-Place Archive emails 

https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/office-365-backup/

I have tried the trail version and it worked but I didn't buy the product as it cost 500$ and I don't have the budget to buy and test, so I'm not sure if the tool can do the job with large email numbers.

regards.

Ghaith

• Edited by azzawi Friday, August 17, 2018 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by azzawi Friday, August 17, 2018 4:30 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 12:40 PM
  • If you want to Exporting to .pst from online archiving office 365, then you can use  Softaken Office 365 Backup Pro software. This tool will help to export all mailbox from Office to Outlook PST without any data loss.
    Friday, August 17, 2018 12:52 PM
  • There are more other tools like SysTools Office 365 exporter for min 10 users. and SysTools Office 365 backup & Restore for 19$/user available. So, you can try this to export Office 365 mailbox to PST and save it on your local machine. Also, helps to restore it back to Office 365 account.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:21 AM
  • You can use PST in Office 365 software to migrate MS Outlook PST to Office365 account so that they can be converted to Office 365. You can also use the manual method but its process is very long. After a long process, you will be able to convert PST file to Office 365. If you want to convert file with easy method then you use third party tool that's convert all file PST file in Office365.

Visit here more info:  https://www.softakensoftware.com/outlook-pst-to-office-365.html

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:14 PM